1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you listen to 5.1 discs????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nictry, Mar 13, 2004.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Strange question possibly but have just wired my Pio 812 for 6.1 (although with 2 back surrounds rather than 1) Now I am happy with CD sound which I have set to play in Neo 6 and sounds come out of all speakers and sounds great.

My question comes from playing a couple of DVDs in 5.1, I am not sure which option I should listen to (in fact I am not sure I should change anything?)

Basically I do not get sound out of the 6th channel (obvioulsy I guess with the Amp doing its own thing) ie it only plays 5.1, but should I actually set it as default on DVD input to play in a 6.1 format either DD/DTS 6? Will it sound better, will it actually make a difference?

Also if I change the default setting will it cope OK when I play a genuine 6.1 DVD?

Any advice/experiences much appreciated

Cheers :smashin:

2. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently listen to 5.1 discs through my TV speakers boo hoo!!!
    Sold my Yamaha DSP-A1 last month and waiting on my Yamaha 1400 to arrive :)

3. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

After months of messing around with all the sound formats i find that listening to a disk normally sounds better played back in the format it was recorded in (mastered in).

The only time i switch on my rear 2 speakers (6.1) is to listen to DTS 6.1 ES discreet.

But those are my thoughts , every one has their own tastes.

Daran.

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I must be getting old I listen to everything music wise anyway in plain 2 Channel stereo. Have played with most of the sound formats and always come back to 2Ch. :)

For movies everything is played with EX/ES switched on, I have never felt it made anything sound worse that 5.1 usually better and the speakers are there so it would be a waste not to use them.:D

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Ditto what pwiles said.

You've paid the extra money for the 6th and/or 7th speaker so why not use it for DVD's? It's also always on for my system.
    When I first got the Denon 3802 I played about with the multichannel effects for music, but soon upgraded to a separate HiFi amp and so don't have the option for 6.1 from CD's unless I play CD's in the DVDP.

Mark.