How Do You Judge Picture Quality ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jspr, May 17, 2004.

1. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having recently purchased a Plasma I am now considering upgrading my dvd player so that I can take advantage of component/prog scan. I currently have a Pioneer 717 which doesn't have either. How do you judge the potential quality of the picture from the DVD player ? Is it solely down to the Video DAC? My 717 only has a 27/10 video dac - does this mean a dvd player with a better video dac, say 54/12, will give me better quality ?

I see the new pioneer 370 even has a 54/12 video dac and that only costs £80 !!! After having bought my plasma (Fuji VHA30) can't really afford one of the top price dvd models so would be looking at something up to £350/£400 mark - not really interested in DVD-Audio or SACD, just excellent PQ, component out/prog scan and multi-region. Any advice appreciated.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I believe with plasmas or at least earlier plasmas it was best to get a dvd player with good colour oversampling like 10bit or 12bit as this offers finer colour gradiance and as most plasmas have a gradiance limitation with regard colour this will help prevent any obvious colour gradiance stepping effects. Even the real cheapies now are offering 10bit Video DAC processing. What connections has your plasma got?

3. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My Fuji has RGB Scart, Component and VGA - currently I have my Sky box connected to VGA via a JSTech RGB-VGA converter, which gives outstanding PQ on Sky and my Pioneer 717 DVD player is connected via the Scart. The PQ via Scart is good but I reckon I could get better via component with a compatible DVD player.