how do you join USB cables?.....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mushtak2917, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mushtak2917

mushtak2917
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have just bought 10m of USB cable to run from one end of the through lounge to the other end....i.e a 5m a-b cable and a 5m extender cable (has a block circuitry box attached to it)..... what i need to know is how do i securely and permanently join this 5m ordinary USB cable to the 5m extender box/cable? as it is going to be buried underground (in 4/5" drainage pipework) and i dont want to have it come apart at this connection point if pulled from iether end of the cable. i dont want to use just insulation tape to make this connection as eventually the tape will leak and cause corrosion if not now then tomorrow!
    i dont know if i should just use some araldite or structural adhesive but even that will probably cause some sort of corrosion i think. i have even thought of using cable ties but they keep slipping off!.... pls help :(
    using cat 5/6 cable is also a no no as i have already bought 3 sets of these 10m USB kits!:rolleyes:

2. Ardent

Ardent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which would be more expensive, purchasing some cat 5/6 cable, or having to dig up drainage pipework once it is all in place later? Unless you were willing to mould something out of plastic for it, which I rather doubt, there will be no way for you to get a perfectly watertight and strong connection. On top of that, the steel connectors will end up rusting, which will be your key problem. Return the kits, and go with a solid, jacketed cable with no breaks.

As an aside, just what are you running that it will go happily over both USB and Cat 5?

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    As Ardent already pointed out, this is faulty logic, the fact that you have already bought an less than ideal solution doesn't mean that the correct answer isn't something like Cat5.

You are far from alone though, many people arrive here asking for ways to make what they have work, instead of coming here before purchasing and asking for the best solution.

Do tell us more about what you are doing though as I'm intrigued about what on earth you are able to run over USB cables that long and what else we might suggest that would be a better solution.

4. mushtak2917

mushtak2917
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ok heres the setup........ i will have a computer at one end of the lounge and a samsung UE55B7020 55" super thin led tv at the other end.

i am looking to send 3 sets of USB cables i.e (1) usb webcam, (2) usb wireless keyboard, (3) usb HDD which this tv supports.

as usb does not support cables of more then 5m i am having to do this option.
    the reason for using the very large 4/5" drainage pipe is to house the cables/extender units inside and also there will be all manner of other cables i.e 4 sets of hdmi, optical, scart, phonos, component cables etc.

the pipe will be completely covered with concrete and polysterene insulation and underfloor heating,screeded and tiled. and no water will be present inside the pipe! i hope this gives u guys a better picture. thank u.

5. mushtak2917

mushtak2917
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    also i am unable to find a usb2 version of these usb to cat6 dongles. even on ebay they are usb1.1 rated... pls help otherwise i will have to make do with these 10m usb extender cables.

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    They do exist, but they are not cheap :

Icron USB 2.0 Ranger 2101/2104

I can't help thinking that what you propose to do is going to give you problems at some point.

Personally I'd locate the USB HDD close to the TV.

If the keyboard is wireless why does it need a cable as it is 'wireless'?

That just leaves the web cam.

7. mushtak2917

mushtak2917
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i need to have the wireless keyboard reciever near the tv as only then will i be within the recievers RF limit to be able to use the keyboard so thats why i need this extension of usb cabling :nono:. same with the webcam(again to be ontop of the tv). and the HDD will be within the computer which will be no where near the tv! :nono:
    that Icron product is way too expensive :nono:, so my only option is to somehow join these usb connections up :(
    helpppppppppppppppppppp :( :lease: