How do you have your PS5 sound configured?

Beezerk

Standard Member
My old Yamaha receiver died on me last week, after a scramble I managed to get a Denon X1600H receiver to replace it, I have my PS5 into my Hisense tv and ARC down to the receiver with a 5.1 speaker set up.
The sound on this new amp seems to be much more spacious but very loud at times lol overall I'm very happy with it.
I've tried messing around with all the sound settings on both the PS5 and tv, I can't decide which I prefer. LPCM on the PS5 seems to only send stereo to the amp, Dolby and DTS seem about the same. I can change the output on my tv from Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital +, weirdly this just seems to change the sound position of the dialogue when I'm watching tv. I've read numerous threads all over the internet and I still haven't found a true answer, most seem to suggest using LPCM but that doesn't seem to work for me.

So would anyone like to share their settings? I only play games on my PS5 btw no Blue ray etc.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
I have the exact same receiver, I have my PS5 connected to the HDMI port labeled Game on the Receiver and then HDMI output on the receiver to my TV's E-Arc port for using my TV's apps ie Netflix, Disney+ etc. I do not use Arc for gaming it's not needed at all.

PS5 audio output I have set to Dolby Bitstream, and then on the Denon I have it set to Dolby+/HD + Dolby Surround which creates a more immersive and balanced audio for games to me out of the settings I have tested on the Dennon, this was after running the Audessy Setup with the Mic to get the correct settings for my room, it did require a little tweaking afterwards but not much.

Beezerk

Standard Member
I have the exact same receiver, I have my PS5 connected to the HDMI port labeled Game on the Receiver and then HDMI output on the receiver to my TV's E-Arc port for using my TV's apps ie Netflix, Disney+ etc. I do not use Arc for gaming it's not needed at all.

PS5 audio output I have set to Dolby Bitstream, and then on the Denon I have it set to Dolby+/HD + Dolby Surround which creates a more immersive and balanced audio for games to me out of the settings I have tested on the Dennon, this was after running the Audessy Setup with the Mic to get the correct settings for my room, it did require a little tweaking afterwards but not much.

Excellent thanks mate, to be honest I never even thought about putting the PS5 through the receiver, I used to with my old Yamaha receiver for a while but I had audio lag issues from my Sky Q box so I just used ARC for everything which cured it. I kept the set up the same with the new amp for some reason lol. Makes sense, I'll give it a shot but keep the SKy Q via ARC.

ThunderGatti

Novice Member
Have you guys tried the PS5 with Auro3D as your sound mode for gaming on the PS5? I'm planning to test it out tonight. I just setup a new Denon x6700h AVR with some Elac Debut 2 speakers in 7.2.4 and have both new consoles. I was also wondering if you guys have the XSX and if the Dolby app is worth buying?

As far as connecting, I think there are issues running to the AVR directly that may impact the new hdmi 2.1 features. I'm planning to go directly into my new LG G1 tv when it arrives and then out via eARC to the Denon. I'm not sure if the eARC port gives you true lossless audio either, but it's good enough for me.

There is one new receiver due to be released very soon that has no issues and multiple hdmi 2.1 ports, I believe from Onkyo. HDTV_test on YT has a video about it. I don't think any of the current models aside from the series of Denon AVR that the x6700h belongs to actually hdmi 2.1 ports that work properly. Mine only has 1 port as well.

Beezerk

Standard Member
@Darth_terra
Changed my setup as you suggested and the improvement is night and day, sound seems much more balanced and accurate rather than all over the shop using ARC. I've also finally managed to get 4K and HDR working together which I never managed using before.
Happy days.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
@Beezerk Good to hear.

@ThunderGatti I don't have the XSX so can't answer that question for you, and the X1600 doesn't have Auro3d support so haven't been able to try it for games.

ThunderGatti

Novice Member
@Beezerk Good to hear.

@ThunderGatti I don't have the XSX so can't answer that question for you, and the X1600 doesn't have Auro3d support so haven't been able to try it for games.
Thanks for the reply. Just curious what sound mode everyone prefers? I used to prefer straight up multi-channel until I got this Denon.

For the PS5 the best settings all depends on the gear you have. If you have a soundbar or AVR with a good DAC. The DAC is the algorithm used to decode audio into your listening mode of choice (I prefer Auro3D over Atmos for example). If you use eARC this ranking is from Rtings.com would apply:

For games on PS5
  • Best: LPCM (Uncompressed surround sound)
  • Second: DTS (Compressed surround sound).
  • Last: Dolby Digital (Compressed surround sound that often has a slight delay).
For Blurays on PS5 bitstream is the best and each movie has lossless audio codecs that vary.

Also, in case anyone else is curious, the Dolby app on the XSX isn't needed unless you have headphones.

Ach0w

Standard Member
Have you guys tried the PS5 with Auro3D as your sound mode for gaming on the PS5? I'm planning to test it out tonight. I just setup a new Denon x6700h AVR with some Elac Debut 2 speakers in 7.2.4 and have both new consoles. I was also wondering if you guys have the XSX and if the Dolby app is worth buying?

As far as connecting, I think there are issues running to the AVR directly that may impact the new hdmi 2.1 features. I'm planning to go directly into my new LG G1 tv when it arrives and then out via eARC to the Denon. I'm not sure if the eARC port gives you true lossless audio either, but it's good enough for me.

There is one new receiver due to be released very soon that has no issues and multiple hdmi 2.1 ports, I believe from Onkyo. HDTV_test on YT has a video about it. I don't think any of the current models aside from the series of Denon AVR that the x6700h belongs to actually hdmi 2.1 ports that work properly. Mine only has 1 port as well.
I don't recall paying anything to have my xbox sx to produce dolby atmos. It is pretty nice by the way, but if I didn't already have the right hardware, I wouldn't be missing much.

And all audio output is over eARC off an LG TV to boot.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom