How do you have your amp's compression set?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sigismund, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Some of you may know that I write a few DVD reviews for the AVForums and I've also been the instigator for a little thread about the eternal Dolby Digital Vs DTS debate - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99983&highlight=Dolby+Digital

I now run a Yamaha RXV2400, which has a few settings re compression - low, mid and high. Changing the setting from the mid default to high has an enormous effect on the sound... for Dolby Digital encoded tracks. I'm not sure I can detect any change with DTS.

My question is - which setting do you guys choose?

Mark :)

2. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If im not mistaken (I could easily be :rotfl: ) DTS can not be compressed, the dynamic range on a DD track can be to bring the big bangs and low sounds together. DTS is as it is.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ever since I tried to turn on dymanic compression to soften the sound from "The Last Samurai" and the sound of guns being fired turned into the sound of corn getting popped, I keep the dynamic range at maximum. If I know it's going to be an occasionally loud movie that my neighbours won't appreciate at full level, I turn down the volume a bit instead. (The "night" mode is probably a bit different and perhaps something I should play around with to see if it does the trick.)

As far as I know, DTS tracks do not contain any data for how much dynamic range to preserve, whereas Dolby Digital tracks do, in the form of predefined profiles that are selected by the DVD producer/broadcaster.

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi,

If you are referring to the LFE compression then I always set mine to OFF (i.e no compression).
    I'm not sure but on Yammy amps the settings for LFE comp are a reversal from the way it is on my Denon AVR2805,with HIGH being no comp on the Yammy's, and OFF being,..... well, off with Denons.
    As far as I've been led to believe, using LFE compression tames the low bass effects and boosts the lower level sound (speech etc) so as not to disturb the neighbours late at night, (makes the sound more balanced and easier to follow without having it "blasting" the walls down).

TTFN,

Graham.

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I knew I should have had the manual to hand when I posted!

According to the manual it's all about Dynamic Range, it reads

"Use to select the amount of dynamic range compression to be applied to your speakers or headphones. This setting is effective only when the unit is decoding Dolby Digital and DTS signals.

Choices: MIN, STD, MAX

SP

Select to adjust the speaker compression.

HP

Select to adjust the headphone compression.

Select MAX for feature films.
    Select STD for general use.
    Select Min for listening to sources at low volume levels."

There's also an image of the settings that has MAX highlighted for both SP and HP. I've taken this to mean that this is the suggested setting - and it makes a huge difference to Dolby Digital tracks... a lot like the difference many people seem to suggest exists between DD and DTS tracks; i.e. fuller, more open sound; more dynamic; louder; deeper bass etc.

Since choosing this setting my preferred choice seems to be Dolby Digital tracks to most DVDs... even The Transporter R2 Japan, which is renowned for its superb full bitrate dts track, sounds rather stupendous - and is definitely louder - in Dolby Digital form!

I haven't decided 100% whether the MAX setting has no effect on DTS tracks, but if it does have an effect it is much less obvious than with Dolby Digital encodings, which "improve" dramatically!

Mark

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    DRC can be applied to DTS tracks but it depends if the amp has the ability implemented and if the actual dvd disc encoding allows it (oddly enough). The only DTS tracks I've found that will let you use it are those on the R1 Rambo Trilogy Special Edition Boxset. Amp at the time was a Denon 3801. :)

7. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Denon 2105 have compression settings at all does anyone know?

Rick

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it will have - it's part of the Dolby Digital standard...ie, nobody can produce an amp with Dolby Digital on it without the compression settings. It's all part and parcel of the bass management settings...

Your neighbours still won't be to happy then mate...the LFE will still find a way through the walls somehow, regardless of volume setting.
    The only way to have happy neighbours is to reduce the LFE completly...
    I find I enjoy the movie more by turning the LFE down because I can still run the volume the same as I would at normal viewing times...

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a Yamaha amp and it's set to MAX, which means no compression (note: on other brands MAX may mean maximum compression!).

AFAIK the setting only effects Dolby Digtal, at least on older amps like my DSP-A1.

10. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Family Guy (or anyone who knows), how do I find the compression settings on my Denon 2105, and what are the suggested settings for it and what effect will they have please?
    Cheers
    Rick