How do you get your pork crackling crispy ?

Steve N

Distinguished Member
I can't seem to get this right.

If I use enough I might end up with about 25% just right, the rest is either burnt or chewy plastic :mad:

Anyone got any foolproof recipes please :)

fizl

Get the oven up to 240 degrees/gas mark 9, score your pork so that it goes through the skin, but not all the way through to the meat, pat dry, salt if you want for flavour, stick it in the oven for about 25 minutes, then turn the oven down to gas mark 6 for the rest of the cooking time if a regular joint, about gas mark 3 if a slow cooked belly of pork.

If it hasn't crisped up enough at the end take it off the joint whilst the meat is resting and stick it back in a very hot oven to finish off

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I thought it was to do with how you score it and then apply rock salt?

baldrick

Novice Member
Do you buy your pork from a butcher or a supermarket? When I bought pork from a butcher he asked "do you want extra crackling" and gave me a piece of the skin/fat to cook separately...

You can always remove it from the meat before you roast and that's also a good way to get good crackling from chops, cut it off and cook it separately...

oakie

the blubber underneath the cracking is the best when you could almost suck it up through a straw - delicious, melts away in your mouth.

A lot will depend on the cut.

I take mine out of the wrapping about 24hrs before.

Put on plate in fridge.

When ready, take it out and dry the fat as much as possible.

I dont add any salt, as i believe it makes the fat "soggy".

If its for a roast put in the oven at 220 to start with, whilst spuds are boiling.

Once the spuds are ready to go in, a couple of desert spoons of duck fat, turn oven down to 190 and chuck in the spuds.

Lovely.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Yeah, after following all the advice in this thread and it still comes out crap, stick it under the grill.:smashin:

electrolyte

Yeah, after following all the advice in this thread and it still comes out crap, stick it under the grill.:smashin:

That is what I always do - put the crackling under a hot grill. You have to be careful because it doesn't take long to go from being rubbery skin to bubbling up and turning into crackling. And once at that stage it only takes about 30 seconds for it to burn.

Before I roast the pork I use the same method as niceguy235uk by leaving it uncovered on a plate in the fridge for 24 hours. I pat it dry and, if the butcher hasn't, I'll score the skin with a stanley knife. I'll rub olive oil into the skin and then liberally cover it in Maldon sea salt.

Then I roast at 220 for 20 mins then reduce to 180 for the remainder of the cooking time.

JT

Don't forget to cook it on a layer of sliced potatoes, they come out black and full of flavour.

BISHI

Score, oil and salt - works for me every time.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If its not crispy, the oven is not hot enough.

As suggested just cut it off and cook on its own in a glass bowl. You can make up a very tasty stuffing and apply a think crust to the joint to protect it.

Failing that, it comes in little packets from most good pubs :)

Grrrrrowler

Score the fat as mentioned above, then before putting the pork in the oven pour boiling water over the fat. Works a treat every time...

IronGiant

I once tried dropping the finished joint into a nice hot deep fat fryer but the only crackling I got was on my thumb :(

Not recommended...:thumbsdow

fizl

I once tried dropping the finished joint into a nice hot deep fat fryer but the only crackling I got was on my thumb :(

Not recommended...:thumbsdow

Ouch!

IronGiant

I seem to remember saying something like that when it happened but I don't think it started with an O :D

fizl

Only one word? Very very restrained I think

mason

Score the fat and then dry the fat with kitchen roll- so it's nice and dry. Then rub in your salt and herbs (if you like), then simply place in and oven dish and surround the meat with a little but of water..... Then wack it in the oven on a very high heat (240/250).... And watch the magic happen!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021