How do you get to choose your Digibox?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Darth Vader, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand when you subcribe to Sky you don't get a choice in what manufacturers box you receive, is this correct?.

How can you go about buying one independently (non subsidised I suppose) can you still get Sky to install it and supply the the dish?, or will you have to get a third party installer to do it for you?. If Sky don't install or supply your equipment can you still recieve their channel packages?.

Roughly how much are we talking to go independent?. Is it worth it?.

What Sky Digi boxes are the best and worst. I've heard Amstrad are one to avoid.

I'm sorry if I sound niave, I'm new to Digital TV, as you might have guessed.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If you subscribe to SKY under one of the subsidised installation deals they decide which digibox you will get, I assume it's whatever they have in stock at any time.

You can go to an independent authorised SKY dealer and more or less get the same installation offers from him that SKY offer, which means you get the "free" digibox and a choice of what he has in stock.

So choose a dealer who has the make you want:)

Over the years I've had both good and bad experiences with SKY installers but only good experiences with independants.
    It's better to talk face to face with someone when you are buying a product that requires installation.

Basic operations of the digibox are pretty much the same these days.
    Panasonics have fast menus.
    Sony have an optical out for audio
    Grundig have a s-video output
    Amstrad and Pace are more or less reference design.

The newer model Amstrads don't suffer the same problems as the first models.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The current Amstrad model is one of the better models and should not be avoided for any reason. The Panasonic seems to be the most commonly issued at the moment.

To be honest, if you don't need an optical output or an s-video output or are not looking for a specific sized box, you don't really need to be too worried about what you get.