• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do you get frame sequential 3D working on Optoma HD33?

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Hi there, I just purchased the Optoma HD33 today and I managed to get blluerays that are SBS to output in 3D but I have Avatar 3D full blueray disc and it appears to be in another 3D format, I'm guessing frame sequential, and the option isnt highlighted on my projectors menu. It lets me select SBS and top to bottom but not frame sequential.

Do you think this is because I am using the wrong kind of HDMI wire? I believe the HDMI wire I've got was purchased about a year ago, cant remember the exact format but its working fine for 2D and 3D with SBS.

Thanks in advance.

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Was trying to play from a PC using HDMI cable and full Avatar Blueray.

Frame Sequential is not highlighted, I even got my shiny new 1.4 HDMI High Speed 10 meter cable this morning and tried with that and its still not highlighted.

I'm sure I read online or in the manual that it should detect it automatically as long as its a valid 3D source.

I guess the projector doesnt recognise the PC as a valid source.

Do you think it matters that I'm using a 50GB blueray image instead of a blueray disc?

Do you think if I buy a blueray player or a PS3 it will detect it straight away?

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
I'm using that Arcsoft Total Media 5.1, I believe thats the exact name, it was recommended on another forum when I asked what to use to play bluerays and 3D bluerays from my PC.

I think the people that recommended it though are outputting to 3D TV's, not projectors.

toddy28

Prominent Member
You have to mount the ISO on a virtual drive before you can play it , you can get media players that will play the 3d Iso files like the himedia 900a for £100 and that saves a lot of hassle or buy a blu ray burner and burn the ISo on to disk

And I take it there backups of your own blu rays your trying to play as talking about anything else is not allowed on the forums :)

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
You have to mount the ISO on a virtual drive before you can play it , you can get media players that will play the 3d Iso files like the himedia 900a for £100 and that saves a lot of hassle or buy a blu ray burner and burn the ISo on to disk

And I take it there backups of your own blu rays your trying to play as talking about anything else is not allowed on the forums :)

I know how to mount images, I use daemton tools for that. And yeah these are backups that I share across a network within my house.

Should frame sequential be highlighted on my Optoma HD33?

Am I looking at the right thing?

When you guys launch your Optoma HD33 do you select 3D options and then select frame sequential and then put a blueray on?

toddy28

Prominent Member
It will switch automatically once it detects a frame packed source like it does with the ps3 and 3d blu ray players

And the backup chat was just to make clear to the mods were not talking about downloads ;)

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Ok fair do's. Well thanks for all your replies. I'm very happy with the Optoma HD33 so far.

I cant believe how amazing the quality is and the sharpness, I was watching Terminator 2 last night and was blown away and flicked through a few other films for a couple of mins just to check out the quality.

I guess regarding my 3D issue, I'll have to lend my friends PS3 until I get paid at the end of the month and then I'll buy one online for £160. I was thinking of getting a PS3 anyways for gaming. And also going to get an AMP to hook all this setup together.

Joebe

Standard Member
If your using a nvidia graphics card you might have to install nvidia's 3dtvplay to get non-SBS stuff to play with arcsoft or powerdvd.. If its an ati card, they have a similar app but i dont know what its called

Also that app lets you play your pc games in 3d

Last edited:

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
If your using a nvidia graphics card you might have to install nvidia's 3dtvplay to get non-SBS stuff to play with arcsoft or powerdvd.. If its an ati card, they have a similar app but i dont know what its called

Also that app lets you play your pc games in 3d

Thanks for the advice mate. Ok well I've got three things to try now when I get home from work/gym, 1) standalone blueray player, 2) powerDVD software, 3) ATI software.

Hopfully next time I post back it will all be working.

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Well I've tried everything but cant seem to get it working.

When you guys watch a 3D blueray on your PS3 or standalone players do you press menu on the projector and go to 3D and choose frame sequential?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing entirely?

toddy28

Prominent Member
Switches automatic the player/ps3

Your not alone in this problem lots of people have had problems playing 3d ISo files on there pc , it's not the hd33 it's the pc end you should not have to change any settings on the hd33

Try total media theatre 5 ,

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Switches automatic the player/ps3

Your not alone in this problem lots of people have had problems playing 3d ISo files on there pc , it's not the hd33 it's the pc end you should not have to change any settings on the hd33

Try total media theatre 5 ,

After doing a lot of reading and searching online, I think I might have discovered what the problem is. I think its my graphics card, because I am using an old ATI 5770 and I dont think it supports 3D. I'm thinking maybe if I had one of the latest graphics cards it would work.

I'm planning on upgrading my PC anyways but thats not due for another 3-4 months. In the meantime I'll just get a PS3 and watch bluerays on that.

illusion

Established Member
I think a 5770 should be okay and Arcsoft Total Media 5.1 plays 3D sequential just fine. As simple as this sounds you have checked the settings to ensure you've got 3D switched on in Total media? I was having issues a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be something in the settings that was causing it to always output 2D.

In fact I just read a post in another sites forum from someone using a 5770 to play 3d Blu-rays so it should be fine the other posts suggests you need to be using the right catalyst drivers so maybe check that and try the latest ones.

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
I think a 5770 should be okay and Arcsoft Total Media 5.1 plays 3D sequential just fine. As simple as this sounds you have checked the settings to ensure you've got 3D switched on in Total media? I was having issues a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be something in the settings that was causing it to always output 2D.

In fact I just read a post in another sites forum from someone using a 5770 to play 3d Blu-rays so it should be fine the other posts suggests you need to be using the right catalyst drivers so maybe check that and try the latest ones.

Whats strange is when I launch avatar through Arcsoft Total Media 5.1 it has 3D auto enabled and you can see that the program has 3D enabled at the top and I can switch between 2D and 3D and it works fine as you can see the image has changed from 2D to 3D but when I put the glasses on it's like the projector doesnt tell the glasses to display 3D.

But SBS stuff works fine.

Which is why I thought maybe I need to enable an option or something.

EDIT:
Does it matter that my high speed HDMI cable is 1.4 and not 1.4a?
Also I thought this projector displays in 120hz and you have to have 120hz for 3D? but in the bottom right corner when you turn the projector on it says 1080p 60hz. Does that mean its not displaying correctly with the correct settings?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
I finally managed to get it working, it was just the options in Total Media player. I just had to set it to DLP display and then it worked straight away with avatar. Thanks for all your help people.

Totally blown away by this projector, the 2D and 3D are both amazing, best thing I've ever bought. I'm 28 but like a big kid with this projector. Can't wait to watch loads of films this weekend and try out a few games.

I really cant fault this projector for anything, it's quiet, its bright, the image is perfection, its 10x better then my old projector.

Very happy :)

toddy28

Prominent Member
Glad you got it working

Try IMAX under the sea and journey 2 for some fun pop out 3d and tangled looks amazing in 3d

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
Glad you got it working

Try IMAX under the sea and journey 2 for some fun pop out 3d and tangled looks amazing in 3d

I'll try get them this weekend, thanks for the tip. I got the Imax space station one in 3D that was good.

Just a quick question, you know the type of 3D we see from bluerays, what type of 3D is that called? Just a friend at work was asking me and I wasnt sure.

Last edited:

toddy28

Prominent Member
It's full frame 1080p to each eye , frame packed

The best available at the moment

I like the space station IMAX film it feels so real when your in the station with them

SkScotchegg

Standard Member
It's full frame 1080p to each eye , frame packed

The best available at the moment

I like the space station IMAX film it feels so real when your in the station with them

Cheers mate.

Yeah I know what you mean, the part where they're eating and there's m&m's coming out the screen and at one part an orange was coming right out the screen towards your face and just looks amazing. Oh and another part with a glove lol, I actually put my hand out to see where it was in the room, proper cool! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom