1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you get DVD pic quality on TV ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by audiop, Jan 14, 2005.

1. audiop

audiop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 100 Hz JVC TV gives amazing results with my (£60) Aiwa DVD player.

Why then is the picture so crap when fed with the signal from my Sky digibox ? Both devices are set to transmit in RGB, so why is the sky pic so much worse ?

2. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    some of my sky pic's are crap to :thumbsdow even with it transmittihg RGB think its somthink to do with the way sky transmits its signals which transponded they use :thumbsdow

3. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its to do with the bitrate that that particular channel broadcasts in at the time.

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sky Digital uses extremely low quality per channel so that they can squeeze as many as possible down each satellite transponder channel - if they gave you DVD quality on every channel they'd have far fewer channels to offer (in some respects, maybe this would be a GOOD thing).

M;.

5. audiop

audiop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well actually in my opinion 90% of the channels on Sky are absolute useless s**t - so it would be a very good thing to releive the transponders of more than just a few channels but then I'm not a capitalist tw*t whose only interest is profit.

PS is the picture any better with freeview ?

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes, to echo the previous replies, Sky's bitrate is low, hence the awful picture - more noticeable on some channels than others. Freeview can be bad also - but - I do think it is better than Sky (picture quality wise - the channels, like Sky, tend to leave a lot to be desired!!) because it's not squeezing so many channels through the transmitter - You will be unlikely to get anything like pure commercial DVD quality on freeview/sky broadcasts at the moment.

7. audiop

audiop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So for the future - is the situation likely to improve ?

8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well...for the immediate future...I would think not really - although maybe in time, the bitrate method will be increased/improved... but I shouldn't think just yet

9. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Only when sky launch there hidef service will it improve but that wont be until next year.

10. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q: How to get DVD picture quality on TV
    A: Watch a DVD ;)

Sorry if it sounds a bit sarcastic but that is pretty much the only way you'll get what you want. Sky is one of the worst offenders. Freeview is a little better but I've seen it here also. Telewest cable is no better either so don't go there. I've seen some pretty horrid bitrate compression while watching some nature documentaries. The water just turned into squares!

To be honest, if you can get a good analogue signal this offers the best picture outside of DVD. At least it's true colour and uncompressed (apart from the interlacing of course)

I think that less is indeed more, after all at least 95% of everything that telewest and Sky broadcast is a heaving pile of utter dirge. Sadly only a minute portion of the remaining 5% is watchable whilst the remining part varies from barely watchable to almost interesting. I've come to the conclusion that four good quality channels is way better than 100+ channels of recycled fodder, and I'd gladly see the back of shopping channels, repeat channels (UKTV Gold), the dreaded E4 and all those stupid +1/+2 channels that have sprung up and just take capacity away. And the best part is most, if not all of them broadcast in 4x3!!!

Damn am I glad I've got a DVD player....

11. audiop

audiop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'll agree with all of that ! Look forward to the new sky broadcast system if ands when it ever arrives.