1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Flash Cambridge Audio DVD79 with Oppo Firmware?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by organoman, Jul 21, 2005.

1. organoman

organoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

On the Oppo thread it was suggested by one of the posters that he had flashed his DVD79 with modified Oppo firmware. As the DVD79 is available in this country at Richer Sounds, I was wondering how one would go about flashing the DVD79 with the Oppo firmware and what modifications would need to be made to it to work on the DVD79.

Thanks,
    Organoman.

2. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CA DVD79 is identical to the Oppo DV971H but the CA seems to be more solidly built and definitely more attractive. Unfortunately CA does not do a good job of updating their firmware to resolve issues like cross-color suppression which is on or the sharpness control which is also on and cannot be turned off. These and other issues should have been addressed by CA since they degrade image quality through DVI( look at the big stationary flag in the NASA montage and you will see plenty of artifacts and shimmering) . Fortunately Oppo has addressed these issues. I have personally used the latest Oppo firmware on the CA DVD79 and it now works beautifully (Deinterlacing is improved as well as many other aspects of the image quality which I will not get into ). However if you are going to do this you should keep in mind a couple of issues. First as soon as you update the firmware to the oppo firmware you will of course loose functionality of the CA remote. You will need a learning remote like the MX-800 and find the oppo file for your remote on remote central. So make sure that a full file is available for the remote you have prior to carrying out the upgrade. Second the buttons on the front of the CA will now be reassigned and their labels won’t match their functions.
    Finally the CA goes into standby when you press power while it turns completely off when you use the Oppo code which means that you either have to wire the player on a triggered outlet(like I did) or turn it on and off from the front button as I have been unable to turn it back on through the remote using the oppo code.

3. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to the forums, skourip, and thanks for the info. :)

4. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you ddlooping!!
    I do hope it helps people as the options for DVI enabled upconverting DVD players without major faults is pretty short, especially in Europe. Some people here suggest that it makes no difference if you upconvert the video signal. That is both true and false and really depends on the scaler of your video device. In the case of the benq 8700 the scaling is mediocre at best and as a result the quality of the image is vastly superior using a good upconverting dvd player even when comparing to extremely expensive analog progressive scan players( and I mean anyone will be able to se the difference its that obvious). I have tried and extensively tested most of the DVI enabled players both from the States and Europe including the Bravo D1 and D2, oppo, samsung, DVD79, Denon 2910 etc. Since the oppo has no service centers in Europe the Cambridge is the obvious choice among the players, assuming you upgrade the firmware, and if you eliminate the 2910 due to price. All the other ones I have tested have significant flaws that I cant live with (I do own a few of them!! ha ha).

5. pedrovi

pedrovi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if (and when) CA will release a new firmware with the oppo fixes for the DVD79?

I would like to try the oppo firmware but since the remote will stop working with it, is there any way I can get the original CA firmware to return the CA DVD79 to its original status, just in case I won't be able to solve the remote problem?

Another possibility would be that someone with programming knowledge could try changing the oppo firmware to work with the CA remote and player buttons. Has anyone tried it yet?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
  7. pedrovi

pedrovi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJTX100.

Thanks for the link.

8. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Oppo after finding out they are actually made by BBK that supply machines for many famous brands. In fact I am beginning to wonder who actually design this particular piece of hardware and the softwares. It appears to me they just went to BBK and bought a batch of this player also made by BBK factories and have no clue how to alter the software quickly.

9. pedrovi

pedrovi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still trying to find a solution to flash the CA79 with the latest oppo firmware, since I don't think we will see a new CA firmware soon.

Apparently the only problem when using the oppo firmware is that the remote stops working. One solution would be to buy an oppo remote for use with the CA79.

The other solution would be to use a universal remote like the HT700 with the oppo file posted in remote central. This solution has one drawback since the player could only be used with the expensive remote and would be very hard to sell in the future.

The third solution would also include the HT700 universal remote. But getting the original CA firmware would make it possible to revert the player to its original status if later on one would want to sell it (with the original remote).

From those three solutions I think the cheapest and most practical one would be to try to find an oppo remote to use with the oppo firmware.

Does anybody know if it is possible to buy one or have any other suggestions to solve the problem?

Thanks

Thanks

10. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pedro
    Using an oppo remote should work fine. Keep in mind though that I have tested the oppo stop key sequence that switches between the old and the new remote and it does not work! Apparently with the instalation of the latest firmware the player defaults to the old codes. Make sure you get the old remote and keep in mind the power off issue I mentioned in my previous post. Cambridge does not seem to be very good at updating their firmware for any of their components. The post I started on thir site seems to be having some effect. Lets put more pressure on them through that post and they just might respond.

Cheers

11. pedrovi

pedrovi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skourip,

Thanks for your answer.
    I've already posted on their site (CA79) and will be doing so again.
    I agree with you 100%

I'm still trying to find a way to buy an oppo remote before I flash my player.

12. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Guys, I don't own an Oppo or DV79 (not yet anyway), but I did notice when reading the large Oppo thread that a guy posted there who had flashed a DV79 with a modified version of the Oppo firmware that kept the remote and front panel codes intact.

I think the relevant posts are on pages 2 and 3 of the Oppo thread, and if I remember rightly he used something called mtktool to do the job.

Googling mtktool led me to an app called MTK Remaker that can apparently be used for modifying certain parts of the firmware.

I don't know if that will be of any use to anyone.

Hopefully it will be and then I can grab a modified firmware from someone if I end up buying a DV79! ;)

13. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have posted CA as I had the same issues with my DVD79. I returned it to CA and plumped for a Samsung. The Samsung fits the bill fine, but the DVD79 PQ was definately superior, would have kept it if lip sych was fixed.

There is a fine machine in the DVD79 trying to get out !

If all past and present DVD79 owners do similar posts we may get some joy from CA.

Perhaps we can do the same thing for Samsungs and get a firmware update for DVI/HDMI blacker than blacks ! (See new HD745 thread I have added)

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yep, it's called an Oppo! :devil:

Seriously, good luck with your attempts to get updated firmware. I think you'll have more joy with the DVD79 vs the HD745 as the latter is a discontinued model...PJ :)

15. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its crazy that the 745 couldn't have been more than 9 months old as a model, before it was replaced by the 850. Still the Sammy DVI/HDMI models appear to all share similar probs.

Got to to be worth trying though ?

16. ezekuel

ezekuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the oppo thread one of the posters said that he had flashed his Cambridge DVD79 with the oppo firmware. He also said that he got it working with the CA remote control and the front panel working as it should on the dvd79.
    Can someone tell me how to do this?

He mensioned something about MTKTool. I have found this and MTKRemaker, but I don`t understand what to do with this to make my dvd79 work with the oppo firmware.

It`s very important to have the remote and the front panel still working. I don`t want to buy a new remote or have other actions on the front panel buttons than what it should be on the dvd79.

I hope someone can help. I think this is the question the starter of this thread first wanted to know.

17. pedrovi

pedrovi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to know but don't think there is an easy answer to that.

From reading about MTK I think you would first need to learn how do extract the firmware from the player.
    That would require soldering a communications cable to the player (RS232?).You would also need programming skills in order to read, understand and modify the firmware in the right places.

I could be wrong though. :)

18. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  19. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVD79 and i'm REALLY hoping that CA makes a firmware update available... But since they haven't done that yet, I'm really considering swapping my DVD79 for another player (the PQ in 720p is great but the 1080i mode in the DVD79 doesn't work well).

Come on CA! Don't make us wait too long!

20. HTdude12

HTdude12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Spacedog...

Didn't you have a 540D already?

If so, can you please give some personal feedback regarding the quality of CD playback over the dedicated stereo analogue outputs of the two?

Is there a major difference between them or are they identical in your opinion?

Thanks again!

21. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HTdude12, yeah I had a 540D. I swapped it for a DVD79 to match with my lcd hd-ready tv.

Currently I'm not experiencing any difference between the two since I keep the DVD79 connected to my 540R receiver via digital coaxial like I did with the 540D (so the receiver is doing the decoding). I was advised to do so by Cambridge because of the higher specs of the 540R DACs.

But when concerning the stereo analog outs of both players, the 540D it's better (even though IMO it's not a day-and-night difference) because of the board layout and casing that are inherited from Cambridge CD players which are fenomenal!

So if you don't have an amp (or have one with not-so-good DACs) go for the 540D!

Hope this was of any help to you...

Cheers! :thumbsup:

22. destine1

destine1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been tracking the CA forum (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/forum...e=DVD79+DCDi+Azur+540D+Oppo+Firmware+Problems) for a couple of months now. Then today, I went to check on the status of the firmware update eluded to by CA's own CEO (just ask skourip about this) that would be available soon after Oct. 24, but the forum seems to be removed from CA's website. I don't know if they did this for maintenance reason, or this is a pathetic attempt to silence the nonexistent firmware upgrade. skourip, can you please give us an update on the DVD79 firmware upgrade?
    Regarding the modified OPPO firmware for the DVD79, I've tried to contact the original poster that claimed to have the sought after firmware and have not received any replies. I have to assume that s/he was just bragging and did not actually modify the original OPPO firmware and merely flashed the DVD79 with OPPO's firmware. Everything I know about reverse engineering any electronic system takes a tremendous amount of time. This is due in large part to a lack of documentation of the layout of the machine (particularly true of the DVD79). I have not been able to find any low level documentations for the DVD79. Even if one was able to backup the firmware from the DVD79 (which can be done quite easily by the way), trying to figure out what all the hex values mean will take many, many hours of trial and error to see what each does.

23. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wonderful, shows that persistence pays hay !