How do you encourage a 3 year old to sleep on their side or front?

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Our boy is having problems sleeping at the moment because he has a cold. He insists on sleeping on his back though which makes his breathing irregular as well as allowing all the gunk to settle at the back of his throat so he's waking up and coughing/choking regularly too. When he's on his side or front it's not so much of a problem and he sleeps much more soundly. We've tried propping him up with a pillow so he doesn't go on his back but he always seems to end up on his back, coughing and whatnot. Any suggestions please?

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
You could try putting him on his side and then putting a pillow or blanket against his back so he can't easily roll onto his back.

Just read your post again and you have already tried this.

Last edited:

Jenn

Distinguished Member
Saw a tennis ball into the back of his pyjama. Also try and put some blocks under the feet at the top of his bed to get an incline, it supposed to help.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
You could try putting him on his side and then putting a pillow or blanket against his back so he can't easily roll onto his back.

Just read your post again and you have already tried this.

Yeah that's what we tried doing but he won't stay there.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Saw a tennis ball into the back of his pyjama. Also try and put some blocks under the feet at the top of his bed to get an incline, it supposed to help.

Good idea, I will try and sew something into the back of his pyjama top...that might do the trick unless he decides to take his top off.

Have you tried Vicks or Olbas Oil smeared on his pillow or pyjamas? This works with our kids when they are bunged up.

Yes, he does have that but it doesn't seem to help with the stuff collecting at the back of his throat.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Have you thought about using a humidifier to help with the mucus rather than trying to change how he sleeps?

Lee

We find that by raising the pillows so they are still on their back but in a more upright position helps with them sleeping. Tried that one?

brumhee

Distinguished Member
Our boy is having problems sleeping at the moment because he has a cold. He insists on sleeping on his back though which makes his breathing irregular as well as allowing all the gunk to settle at the back of his throat so he's waking up and coughing/choking regularly too. When he's on his side or front it's not so much of a problem and he sleeps much more soundly. We've tried propping him up with a pillow so he doesn't go on his back but he always seems to end up on his back, coughing and whatnot. Any suggestions please?

Can you duck tape him into position?

I was going to suggest the tennis ball thing as this is used for snoring as well (I saw it on telly so it must be true).

ste v p

I heard that in some religious boarding schools they used to do similar things with knotted rope to prevent adolescent boys...erm...enjoying themselves alone :eek:

Back on topic, I remember my mum rubbing vicks on my chest and pillow when I was bunged up. Even now, the smell of Vicks reminds me of my childhood.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Have you thought about using a humidifier to help with the mucus rather than trying to change how he sleeps?

Yeah, there's a dehumidifier in the corner already as it used to be a damp room. Thanks for the suggestion, sewing something into the back of his pyjama top seems like the most logical thing to do, we'll give it a go.

duffy78

i was just about to suggest this, a cold steam one would be best. Argos do a decent cheap one that is shaped like a sphere.

A couple of thick books under neath the end of his bed where he sleeps as well.

The above two tricks work for my two boys, one 3 one 1.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Yeah, there's a dehumidifier in the corner already as it used to be a damp room.

Dehumidifiers will not help with the problem, you will find using a humidifier to add moisture to the air will help relieve the congestion, it will help moisten the skin in the throat etc and help thin the mucus.

duffy78

Yeah, there's a dehumidifier in the corner already as it used to be a damp room. Thanks for the suggestion, sewing something into the back of his pyjama top seems like the most logical thing to do, we'll give it a go.

this could be your problem. try a humidifier whilst he's ill.

VXB

Dec - does your boy sleep in a cot or bed. If he is in a cot, maybe he is too big to comfortably sleep on his side as when he rolls over during the night, he comes into contact with the side of the cot, so goes back to the "on his back position".

If he was in a bed, that is wider than the cot, maybe this would be less of problem. Worth a go if not doing already? I dunno yet what age they are supposed to transfre from cot to bed...?

Just a thought - i am no expert on this and my 21 month old son is in a different sleep position whenever i look in on him....

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Dehumidifiers will not help with the problem, you will find using a humidifier to add moisture to the air will help relieve the congestion, it will help moisten the skin in the throat etc and help thin the mucus.

this could be your problem. try a humidifier whilst he's ill.

Aah, ok, I'll look into that, thanks for the heads up.

Dec - does your boy sleep in a cot or bed. If he is in a cot, maybe he is too big to comfortably sleep on his side as when he rolls over during the night, he comes into contact with the side of the cot, so goes back to the "on his back position".

If he was in a bed, that is wider than the cot, maybe this would be less of problem. Worth a go if not doing already? I dunno yet what age they are supposed to transfre from cot to bed...?

Just a thought - i am no expert on this and my 21 month old son is in a different sleep position whenever i look in on him....

Hi, he's been in a bed since he was about 1 and a half but I know what you mean about them shifting about, he does the same but always seems to be on his back somewhere on the bed.

shahedz

Distinguished Member

A humdifier releases mositure into the room, where's a dehumidifer take its out. I have to use a humidifier as my room is too dry so i get a sore throat when i sleep.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Ours has colic at the moment so what we do is incline his mattress by putting a pillow under the mattress which elevates it and puts the risk at 0%. We rubbed vick's on the souls of his feet and put socks on them - no idea how and why but it works. We used a wallpaper stripper and put it in his room half hour before he went to bed turned it into a sauna - better than any humidifier on the market. Last but not least kept a window open so he had damp air. Try and give him warm fluid with honey mixed in lubricates the throat and removes the phlegm and if he is elevated then it keeps going down..

All of the above works only so far, best thing is try all the above and at least it alleviates some of the pain for him.

D

Deleted member 63670

Owen has the very same kind of problems as this, he cant turn himself onto his side and always sleeps on his back and this makes him very bunged up in the throat and nose etc, we have tried Vicks, Olbas etc and although they work a little bit we find they aint great. We have recently bought a Boots own make vaporiser which you stick small pads inside and the whole room is just enveloped in eucalyptus, its just lovely. Try it, they are cheap, about 11 quid iirc. Its made the world of difference for us and Owen can have a full unbroken nights sleep.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
We have recently bought a Boots own make vaporiser which you stick small pads inside and the whole room is just enveloped in eucalyptus, its just lovely.

We tried them and we found them not to be much use we also tried the Calpol one same result so we bought a bottle of olbas oil for a couple of quid, sprinkled it all over the carpet and Bob's your uncle :)

Whatever works works eh>?

duffy78

Ours has colic at the moment so what we do is incline his mattress by putting a pillow under the mattress which elevates it and puts the risk at 0%. We rubbed vick's on the souls of his feet and put socks on them - no idea how and why but it works. We used a wallpaper stripper and put it in his room half hour before he went to bed turned it into a sauna - better than any humidifier on the market. Last but not least kept a window open so he had damp air. Try and give him warm fluid with honey mixed in lubricates the throat and removes the phlegm and if he is elevated then it keeps going down..

All of the above works only so far, best thing is try all the above and at least it alleviates some of the pain for him.

fyi, its better to use a cold air humidifier.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Depends what your treating.

Warm air is able to hold more water molecules thereby adding greater water content into the air than cold air humidifiers thus enabling the mucus build up to moisten.

Cool air is good for inflammation.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution