• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do you edit On The Go playlists?

Tremolo Arm

Established Member
Apologies if this has been asked already.

I am struggling with the management of my playslists (first generation ipod touch).
I know how to create a playlist, but I can't seem to be able to edit it or delete it. The playlists I create are automatically stored as On-The-Go 1, On-The-Go 2 and so on, but I can'd do anything with them except listen to them.

The option to add / remove new songs is there when I first creat a given list, but then disappears, so I am unable to add / remove songs or delete the playlist.

Also, is there a way to name a plylist?

Any hints?

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
Apologies if this has been asked already.

I am struggling with the management of my playslists (first generation ipod touch).
I know how to create a playlist, but I can't seem to be able to edit it or delete it.
The option to add new songs is there when I first creat a given list, but then disappears, so I am unable to addd / remove songs or delete the playlist.

Any hints?

SmartPlaylists can be edited by right clicking & selecting Edit.

With standard playlists I just highlight the playlist and press delete or to edit, just add a song by draging onto the playlist or highlight the song within a playlist & press delete.

Also by right clicking a song you can easily add to a playlist or by right click the playlist a delete option is shown.

An OnTheGo playlist is treat like a normal playlist. Single click to rename.

PS This is in Windows, never used iTunes on a Mac.

This also assumes Parental lock settings have not been set and your music is not located on a Network share where you have restricted access.

OR

Are you asking about doing on the Touch itself & not in iTunes? If so, then check out the following (this is with latest firmware):

Select the On-The-Go playlist and you get an Edit option at top RHS

The Plus icon allows you to add more while each song has a red dot at the side which can be pressed to delete

You can't rename the playlist until its Synced with iTunes when I think the On-The-Go playlist is then cleared on the iPohone/Touch.

Last edited:

Tremolo Arm

Established Member
SmartPlaylists can be edited by right clicking & selecting Edit.

With standard playlists I just highlight the playlist and press delete or to edit, just add a song by draging onto the playlist or highlight the song within a playlist & press delete.

Also by right clicking a song you can easily add to a playlist or by right click the playlist a delete option is shown.

An OnTheGo playlist is treat like a normal playlist. Single click to rename.

PS This is in Windows, never used iTunes on a Mac.

This also assumes Parental lock settings have not been set and your music is not located on a Network share where you have restricted access.

OR

Are you asking about doing on the Touch itself & not in iTunes? If so, then check out the following (this is with latest firmware):

Select the On-The-Go playlist and you get an Edit option at top RHS

The Plus icon allows you to add more while each song has a red dot at the side which can be pressed to delete

You can't rename the playlist until its Synced with iTunes when I think the On-The-Go playlist is then cleared on the iPohone/Touch.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I meant editing on the actual ipod touch (sorry I wasn't clear).

For some reason, I can't get the edit option. This is the whole issue. I can get the edit option for the On-The-Go Play List that I am currently buidling, but not for the ones that I have already done. Nor can I delete the old ones...

I guess I will need to do this by connecting to the PC...

Thanks

itambrose

Standard Member
Hi. I've got a 16GB iPod Touch using firmware 2.2.1 (the latest) and don't get an Edit button on the top right hand side of the OnTheGo1, OnTheGo2 playlists either. I've tried changing the setting in iTunes to instuct 'manually edit music and videos', but this hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Thanks Ian (3Mar08)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom