How do you disable PIN Protection

colham

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the new movie channel line-up's come in, Sky are using it to show more PIN Protected content during the day. The only problem I've got with it is that when skipping thru the movie channels, it prompts for the PIN. I went through Parental Control to see if I could switch it off, but only for playback - which I think is the Sky+ functionality - and that made no difference.

I've no kids, so I'm not bothered about completely de-restricting the box.

You Cant.

Sky Suck.

You can disable it by going into the Pre-watershed option and select off. This is available if you have the latest software update I believe which came with Anytime TV.

You Cant.

Sky Suck.
OFCOM have told both VirginMedia and Sky that they must PIN protect anything from cert 12-up if broadcast during the day.

So why is that Sky's fault?

Services > Parental Control > Enter your PIN > Choose disable and save settings and hey presto

It is only on the new f/w with Sky Anytime though.

I have to say this PIN protection is really getting anoying now. Spent this afternoon channel surfing across the various movie channels, and everytime I hit a channel showing a 12+ movie, it asked for the PIN again. How many times does the SkyHD box need to know that I'm an adult?

Either:
1. OFCOM need to better understand how anoying this is for adult-only households.

2. Sky need to limit daytime movies to U or PG. For example, why on SMHD2 today, they have a 15-rated film on at 5:40pm, followed by a PG-rated film at 8pm. If they broadcast these in the opposite order, no PIN would be required. It's almost as if Sky are scheduling movies deliberately to cause the most number of complaints from adults about PIN protection.

Services > Parental Control > Enter your PIN > Choose disable and save settings and hey presto
That only works for recordings, not live programes.

So it seems that you can't. I assumed that Sky put in this new feature to overcome this, but apparently it is useless with the movie channels.

Mexican waves all round then.

erm I record a film overnight on Sci-Fi and watch it next afternoon and everytime I press backup to skip 4-5m ahead I gotta re-enter pin.

Does anyone want to post screenshots of the PIN setup screens to compare to mine, still ever understood why I can channel surf and playback recordings ever since the PIN system was offered (back on the SKY+) and only ever had to enter the PIN once for a FTA 18 rated movie about a month ago.

PIN setup after call to SKY (last 4 digits didn't work)
Adult Channels removed
No Viewing restrictions
No Channel restrictions (after adult removed)
Pre-watershed off

Attachments

• Image0407-1924(S-Video).jpg
    Image0407-1924(S-Video).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,755
  • Image0407-1925(S-Video).jpg
    Image0407-1925(S-Video).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,787
  • Image0407-1929(S-Video).jpg
    Image0407-1929(S-Video).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,170
Ive been trying to turn off my pin protection, ever since my hd box took the anycrap update, and it still asks me everytime.

Done exactly what Starburst just posted,on many occasions, and still no luck.:suicide:

Just doesn't want to save the settings.

At least my anycrap, works ok:rolleyes:

I don't understand this PIN protection.

Take Lawrence of Arabia this afternoon on SMHD1. This is a PG certificate. If I watch it live, I'm not asked for a PIN. If I watch the recording whilst it's still recording, it asks for a PIN. And yes, I've turned OFF pre-watershed PIN in system setup.

What's the logic behind this?

Hi,

This came up on another forum related to Sky HD. OFCOM have denied that the parental protection is a requirement from them. Despite this, Sky still frequently offer this as an excuse when people complain.

Cheers

John

Hi,

This came up on another forum related to Sky HD. OFCOM have denied that the parental protection is a requirement from them. Despite this, Sky still frequently offer this as an excuse when people complain.

Cheers

John

Here's the OFCOM reference:

Rule 1.22 to 1.24 Premium subscription film services and pay per view
We consider that those viewers that subscribe to premium subscription film services
have accepted a greater share of responsibility for what is broadcast into the home
(and therefore have particular responsibility to oversee children’s access to material
in this area).
Services broadcasting material subject to the above rules (1.22-1.24) must provide
security mechanisms, providing protection at least as effective as a mandatory PIN,
as the default, rather than require PIN setting by the viewer. A mandatory PIN
requires a viewer to input a PIN before accessing the material, irrespective of
whether the viewer has set up any domestic security mechanisms, i.e. it is set by the
broadcaster/platform provider.
Research: Film versus Drama: relative acceptability of the two genres on television
(1998) ITC; The Broadcasting Standards Regulation (2003) BSC, ITC; Viewers and
Family Viewing Policy (2001) BBC, ITC, BSC

Reference link is here

Doesn't sound like it's Skys fault to me :)

ATB

Max

Starburst - same settings as me and yet mine does exactly what it says on the tin. I.e. restricts live at all times for films shown pre-watershed for their rating (there is not settings for this its fixed ON) and restricts the playback too if I set that "PIN on prewatershed playback" flag to ON.

Tarbat. If LOA if PG then its not restricted during the day so shouldn't ever prompt for PIN both on live and on playback? The only way I can see that being restircted is if PG restriction is set but that would affect live and playback?

Either way both your boxes don't seem right (although most would like Starbursts I bet :))

Starburst - same settings as me and yet mine does exactly what it says on the tin. I.e. restricts live at all times for films shown pre-watershed for their rating (there is not settings for this its fixed ON) and restricts the playback too if I set that "PIN on prewatershed playback" flag to ON.

I've never been able to explain why mine does what it does and the SKY+ before it but the both use the same smartcard and the PIN was setup via a call to SKY and well I suspect while I believe mine does what an adult without kids wants, judging on others experiences it's not what SKY intended and it's simply a faulty bit of code.
To confirm mine is buggy my pre-watershed playback restricton when active doesn't ask me for a Pin for viewing even 18 rated content, it's bizarre.

i might have totally read this thread incorrectly but this doesnt seem to be limited to SkyHD boxes, i have Sky+ and have this same annoying PIN issue and mine is not connected to the phone line.

i might have totally read this thread incorrectly but this doesnt seem to be limited to SkyHD boxes, i have Sky+ and have this same annoying PIN issue and mine is not connected to the phone line.

The issues with the PIN and it's implementation started almost from day1 when it was offered to SKY+ users, it's just carried over the SKY+HD as well.

Resurrecting this topic as I've recently had the problem re-occur on a NON HD NON-Sky+ boring old Digibox - it was fine until te other day - anyone know what's going on ?

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom