1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you connect your HTPC to your CRT TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by WBC, Jul 6, 2005.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

There seems to be plenty of chat about vga to scart conversion on here with good results I assume. I can't believe everyone is doing that..............

................So how are you people connecting your HTPC to your TV??

Stace

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm probably wrong (I usually am!). But my guess is that not many people connect an HTPC to a CRT set.

They would usually connect to a projector of some kind, a plasma, or an LCD TV.

Media Centre is OK on a CRT but Windows desktop is pants!

No doubt I shall be proven wrong!

Dave

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I have tried my VGA to SCART route without any much success. (need to do some more playing about another day).

I currently just have the S-Video out on my graphics card connected to the S-Video in on my CRT. PQ is pretty bad for anything like GUI etc but ok for DVD, and just about acceptable for TV.

If you only want to display MPEG streams (TV and DVD) and no GUI (can't exactly see how this would work but...) there is the x-card which allows you to get a decent signal out via RGB. This seems to be the best quality however I have not gone down that route as it is no use if I can't see the GUI :confused:

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've basically built a HTPC to the spec below but have not decided on a projector or plasma yet.

I was going to connect to the CRT until I've made up my mind!!

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have one using component and one using S-video->Scart (and main one via VGA)

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Component video from a Sigma X-Card to the RPTV here(a Toshiba)....UVEM HTPC

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    My CRT supports 1080i over component so I use that with an ATi Component dongle :)

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    I connect my HTPC to my CRT set, and the picture quality is pretty awful, but as its only used for CD Jukebox duties, i'll cope til i use the HTPC for DVD's.

9. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be more threads on this forum about connecting a HTPC to a CRT than anything else (I'm not criticising your thread by the way, just an observation) and it's given me a great deal of grief personally speaking. So much so that I bought a couple of cheap LCD TV's to bring out the best in my HTPC.

If I may be so bold as to summarise how I see the golden rules to connecting up to a CRT....

1) Don't get an nVidia type graphics card but get an ATI one as you can use an RGB convertor (you'll have to search through the archives for details) which gives a good picture apparently. it's do do with the ATI card giving a voltage out on a certain connection pin on the VGA socket that the nVidia cards dont.

2) then you'll need to get the graphics card to produce a true 16:9 aspect picture. Somthing I struggled to do consistantly (I did it once but changed something and that was that). There are lots of threads on that in the archives too.

3) Have very good eyesight if you want to make out your desktop on a CRT.

4) LCD TV prices are tumbling all the time. Get one with a DVI connection and save your self loads of trouble! Honestly, connect to a CRT and it's a right pain. Connect to a LCD with at least VGA (which most of them seem to have) and it's plain sailing.... same applies to plasma's too although I don't have one of those.

Just my opinion though.

jon

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I use component from a radeon 9600 component donlge to feed my CRT TV. It has a pretty low resolution desktop (858x480) but it is crystal clear and gives great DVD PQ. Not too difficult to setup.

11. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Connected to my 28" Sony CRT using S-Video -> Scart.

Picture quality in MCE2005 was cracking.... watched DVDs, played photo slide shows etc and all looked really good to me..

12. Facct

Facct
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the last week or so I've been looking into buying a TV so was doing a lot of reading about this, and I've ended up buying a CRT.

The best way to connect HTPC to CRT is through component (although if your TV has VGA in that's also good, and easier). Your 6600GT can output native component (provided the manufacturer enabled it, Asus cards and some XFX cards don't). The card should have come with a lead that looks something like this to connect your TV via component.

Of course, if you get an LCD or plasma rather than CRT you could connect via DVI.

13. roninsrv

roninsrv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used S-Video into Philips 32 inch CRT from ATI 9550. Picture quality was awful. I read the links on the VGA ro SCART home build cable and tried that. Picture quality much improved. WARNING - this procedure will soak up a lot of time. If you're going to buy and LCD then do it now and avoid a lost weekend. Unless you like to fiddle ...

14. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Owain

What dongle did you use and where did you buy it from?

I assume you have a picture frame TV, is 858x480 the best resolution? Do you have to use powerstrip? Can you send some pics?

Thanks

15. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Molly,

I use the ATI DVI-component dongle. I had to get this from the states, from this company: http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html not sure if they are available over here or not (prbably not) but it only cost about £30 all in IIRC.

I have one of the toshiba TVs which cam after the 1st lot of picture frame ones and before the second (they have a fairly thick, pale blue bezel rather than the picture frame).

that is the highest resolution I've got to work without a scrolling desktop, I use powerstrip as this allows you to fix the overscan fairly easily.

I'll try and get some pics this evening/weekend if you like, what do you want to see?

16. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info.

Could you send pics of your desktop so I can see the clarity.

Thanks

17. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi molly,

here's a pic of the desktop, it hasn't come out very well as I don't think my camera likes taking pics of CRT tubes! In real life there is no banding, the desktop is just rock solid and surprisingly sharp for a TV. I think from this pic you can see how readable the text is if not get an idea of overall PQ.

The second pic is of the DVI-component adapter.

HTH
    owain

Attached Files:

18. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the pics.

My brother has a picture frame so I'll give it a go.

I can't decide what new display to buy.
    Plasma (I don't want a 50" so I can't achieve true square pixel matching).
    LCD are they any good with SD tv broadcasts?
    CRT could be a cheaper alternative until flat panels improve.

Thanks again

19. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'll be honest and say that if I was buying new and could afford it I'd get a plasma any day.

for me the crt was a good compromise on price and performance but that was a couple of years ago and plasmas are now a lot cheaper and much better than they used to be.

get a good hi def plasma now and it should see you right for quite a while, get standard def tv and you'll probably want to change it in 12 months.

20. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0