1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you connect your DV27 for CD playback

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Tracey, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious really as to what you think sounds better. I get a bit confused about what Dac I'm using if I do one thing or another, but, I've tried listening to CD's using a Van Den Hul Ultimate coax lead and also using a Chord chorus interconnect connected to the CD on the AV8. I think the Chorus sounds slightly better, a bit more natural, not as bassy, but I also like listening to music in party mode, I know all you audiophiles out there are shouting NO, but I like it, it doesn't sound natural but it's good when I've got some friends round and we're having a few drinks. So I think the CD connection wins for stereo but only just, I don't think I'd pay out for an extra interconnect for it. So can someone enlighten me, when I use the Chord Chorus connected to the CD input am I using the Dac on the DV27 or the AV8, I know this has been explained loads of times but I just don't get it. Also will it really make any difference by using the CD input where I can use the direct switch or are the Dacs in the AV8 and DV27 just as good as each other. As I said I'm just curious as to what other people do and what you think sounds better or what should sound better.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    If you connect the stereo phonos from the DV27 to your AV8 (very nice) then you are using the DAC of the DV27 (because the phonos are carrying the analogue signal), if you use the co-ax cable you are bypassing the DV27's DAC and using those within the AV8.

I use the Co-ax on my DV88+ for movies (DD/DTS) and stereo phono's from the DV88+ to the CD input on the amp for music.

HTH

Matt

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt, yes that's what I do at the moment but it means I'm using cheap interconnects to connect the rear channels from the power amp to processor. when I get my new rear speakers I wanted to use better interconnects so I was deciding whether to use the extra phono lead for that or whether to buy another one. It does sound better with the analogue interconnect I just don't want to spend more money, it's never ending.

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Tracey

I have mine wired with the stereo phono's to the cd inputs, and the coax to the dvd inputs ... I've found the stereo sound for the cd's a little smoother using the DACs in the DV27 ...

Of course having had my 27 upgraded to 27A I've 'loads' of leads coming out the back now !! :)

Jon

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tracey,
    I have mine wired as follows
    2 analogue cables to CD input (so that I can use PL2, party mode, CD direct etc)
    6 analogue cables to DVD-A input
    1 coax to DVD

Regards
    John

6. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you like Party, or DPLII (as I do), playing CDs, not to mention bass management, you should use a good coax cable, I recomend Apogee Wide-eye, cheap and better sound than any I heard...

I would think the DACs are the same, and with a good coax you dont have serious jitter problems...

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I use the Digital Coax for Digital, but the CD Analoge outputs to the CD into the AV8... this was the best approach for my own preferences anyway...

Kev

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lowrider,
    I've tried both the digital connection and the analogue and I find that the analogue connection seems to have more depth, but it could be a imaginary thing :blush:
    The bass management on my DV27 is quite basic, just large, small or not present, but that could be the software version I'm running as I know I have an old version. What does the bass management on you DV27 do out of interest?

I find now that I listen to all my plain old stereo CD's in PL2 music mode, its far more spacious. Am I being a heretic here or do others find the same? ;)

Regards
    John

9. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    i agree with you.. I listen to almost all of my CDs and most generic TV in PLII.... sounds excellent.

This may change of course, one my speakers are upgraded.. but for sub/sat PLII is superb...

Kev

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My DV27 is the original, so no bass management, but I don´t need it, as I use the coaxial digital connection, do try the Apogee Wide-Eye, I didn´t believe the improvement over my previous Siltech, it got rid of that digital glow you get through the digital connection sometimes...

DPLII is on with all stereo sources on my system, and I just don´t enjoy music without it anymore... :blush:

11. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antonio,
    where did you purchase the apogee wide eye, as I've searched the web and can't find any reference to it

Cheers
    John

12. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apogee

I bought them in Portugal, but I am sure they are available in the UK, and you can buy from the net too...

13. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Antonio

14. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If the DACs in your DV27 are better than the DACs in your processor then use analogue. Otherwise, if the DACs in your DV27 are worse than the DACs in your processor then use coax digital. For the worst connection from DV27 use optical, it's bandwidth is limited to 48kHz whereas the coax is 96kHz.

I have an Arcam A22-DAVE as my processor, and the DACs in my DV27+ are much better than it's inbuilt ones. Therefore it's analogue for CD playback for me.

I've confirmed this with Arcam's customer support in the past and it's what they recommend too.

StooMonster

15. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is more than the DACs quality, I believe they are the same in the DV27 and the AV8...

There could be more jitter with an external DAC, depending on many factors, including the coaxial cable, but then you lose bass management and DPLII, or have two extra conversions...

It has to be tested in each case, I prefer the DACs in my Krell Showcase, never tested the AV8...

16. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Quite, I only thought of that after posting -- don't know what they recommend when the DACs are the same. I'm guessing use the ones in the DV27 and connect via analogue to avoid jitter issues.

StooMonster

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is always jitter, regardless of using internal or external DACs, with good equipment, including good digital cable, external doesnt have to be worst, as is my case, so I guess you have to test and hear what you prefer...

There is another tweak that might help a lot with RF and EMF, Stillpoints ERS over the player, it improved my sound noticeably, and it is not expensive...

Stillpoints