How do you connect your CD player to your processor?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Rich, Sep 19, 2007.

?
  1. I connect by coaxial cable

59.3%
  2. I connect by optical cable

3.7%
  3. I connect by an analogue pair

37.0%
  1. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've never tried connecting my CD player to my processor by digital cable, I've a Shanling CD player, so it would mean bypassing the valves(I think ?), I was wonder how everyone else connects theirs.
    We don't see that many voting polls in this section of the forum, so here is one

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If you do this with your Shanling,you would effectively be using it as a transport only,and thus would definitely be bypassing it's valved output stages.

Whether or not this sounds better will depend on a number of things,not least your ears!.....the Shanling players have a very good reputation for sound quality,and the CDT-300 is one of the best players I've heard at any price.

If the DAC's in your processor are significantly better than those in the Shanling,then you may find a benefit.....as you've guessed,the best way is to try both.

In my case,my CD spinner is a TAG transport,sync-locked to the AV32R/DP processor,so any other connection is out of the question for me.

3. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm sure the CDT-300 is an amzing sounding player, but it reminds me of a Ford XR3i with one of those neon lights underneath it

[​IMG]

Mines the CD-T100, a bit less bling.

I've got a cheapish optical cable for my Sky box, I'll have to give it a try a weekend, when I've got a bit of time.
    The processor is the Integra RDC7.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I always used to connect my CD player (Rega) using analog until I got a Bryston processor, now I use a coax I prefer the processors DAC's.

I then tried to go one step further and to get rid of the CD player and just use the DVD player for CD's, after all, all digital connections sound the same don't they?

Anyway still got the CD player, the DVD player just didn't cut it.

Slingshot.

P.S. Couldn't cope with that CD player, I have to have all distracting lights turned off, those that can't be turned off like power lights get insulation tape over them.

5. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Update.

I've now gone with the digital out to the processor, there didn't seem too much difference between the digital out and the the analogue method, but I was using Xindak FA01's (analogue cables) for comparing both methods.

What made me go with the digital out way is that I can play my DTS discs through my CD player rather than my DVD player, plus also I might be able to improve the sound even more by getting a decent digital cable (unless you know better).

I've got my Xindak cables for the 5 channels and using my Cattylink supplied Gold raincoat IC for the moment.