How do you connect HTPC to PJ, Plasma and Sky+ ?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by jmbrailsford, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Hi,
    in the process of building my own HTPC, the graphics card I will be using at least to begin with anyway is a Sapphire 9600XT with VGA, S-Vhs and DVI out connectors.

I already have the projector connected from the DVD player via DVI/HDMI so this will be kept the same for the HTPC and the DVD player will be sold off, I can go from HTPC to plasma via VGA ( already have existing VGA lead ).

If the DVI and VGA are connected at the same time do you have to preselect which output method to whichever display or will the card just output via both and all that matters is which display is switched on?

This would greatly enhance the possibility of making this system family friendly.

The PHD8 plasma already has Component board so would it be best just to connect the SKY+ box from scart to component for viewing on the plasma? I already have it connected to the PJ via S-Vhs so that will stay.

Would you say that the above methods are the best possible ways of connection, bearing in mind I've spend quite a bit of cash on the existing cables and will be loathe to get rid of them.

You will probably read this thread and say to yourself that I have already decided/answered my own questions, but I am always looking to improve ways and methods of connecting and using our AV gear, and especially trying to improve the ease with which the rest of the family can use the stuff.

HTPC will be running Windows Media Centre with Remote Control and Windows media Keyboard.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

2. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is the way to go. I also have a 9600XT HTPC and it drives a TV and PJ.

What I did is by using the Catalyst Control Centre, to make 2 profiles.
    With the TV enabled only, save on profile and name it TV. Also tell CCC to same a shortcut to the desktop.
    Then do a drag of the inactive PJ display on the active display box. This does a swap, and the PJ interface will activate. Adjust the correct resolution etc and save this profile as PJ.

Now you can switch between the 2 by clicking on either of desktop shortcut or using the keyboard hotkeys. What I did is, via the PVR software I use, SageTV, mapped the shortcuts to menu selections and I can switch via the remote. Even the wife got the hang of it.;)

In my case, the HTPC drives the 2 displays, the Digibox is connected via SVideo to a PVR250. I am sure you could accomplish the same but you'd have to do away with Sky+ functionality and rely on MCE for the PVRing.

One last thing. Make sure that you set the vertical refresh rate to 50Hz via CCC if you can or via powerstrip.