How do you combat the looming fear of burn-in?

D4v30

Well, I've had my CX for a week now and I love the TV but there is one thing that takes away from the enjoyment. I have this constant, looming fear of burn in. Every time I watch something with a static logo or play a game with a HUD in the back of my mind is this fear of burn-in which really detracts from the enjoyment of the TV.

I've tried to mitigate the possibilty by making my task bar auto hide and use dark theme. When browsing the web I set my browser to full screen so the address bar and buttons are hidden. I installed Dar Reader in my browser so all pages are dark but with browsing the web there are still lots of static elements.

It makes me afraid to use my tv like I normally would. Especially right now where I live is under a stay at home order so we do a lot of Zoom stuff with our friends. Well that involves having static elements open for a good couple hours so now I bring out an old TV to do it on which is just ridiculous.

I've read all the stuff on burn in, I've seen rting's tests and I know with current panels it shouldn't be an issue save for extreme cases. But, it's still always there in the back of my mind.

I love the TV but what good is it if you're always afraid to use it or you have to baby it and not use it the way you want?

How do you guys get over this fear? Or am I doomed to always be afraid to use my TV?

LX200GPS

To be brutally honest I'm not sure I would have bought an oled if I was going to be fretting about it. Nobody knows yet whether modern oled tv's will suffer burn in like the earlier sets. I bought one in 2016 and didn't worry because I don't game and rarely watch any of those programmes where the DOGS are likely to cause problems. Or so I thought.

A few months ago I noticed screen burn on my E6. It took a while before I worked out what caused it but I have now come to the conclusion that watching the snooker over the last five years is the culprit. Hard to belive as there isn't that many televised tournaments on tv and I don't watch all of them or watch them all the time they are on. The yellow bars at the bottom of the screen where the players names are has caused burn in on my screen. It's faint and only visible on certain backrounds but it is there.

I normally change sets every five years but I will contact the retailer this time and complain about it. It's worth a punt as the guarantee is 5 years. Anyway, hopefully you have a guarantee that covers burn in so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Just enjoy the tv.

rccarguy2

Had a plasma before. Don't play games don't watch channels with logos, just use it for TV shows and movies.

So shouldn't be a problem

kamy100

I have the same worry. It is the reason that I have yet to make a final decision as to buy an OLED or not. I suppose getting the John Lewis burn in guarantee will give peace of mind but question is do I want to worrying about it all the time whilst gaming? It is a quandary because OLED offers the best gaming experience.

D4v30

That's why I bought the CX, it has no rival for gaming but then you gotta worry about burn in. Most games let you disable the HUD but I usually like the hud. Some, like Doom Eteernal, let you reduce the hud opacity which makes me feel better. But theres others like Monster Train which have big, bright hud elements that you can't turn off.

Hopefully with LG pushing OLED for gaming developers will start adding more comprehensive HUD options.

It's an amazing TV and I've seen many people posting that they play hours of games a day and have yet to see burn in but then you see other stories of people getting it just from logos on screens.

I got the 5 year warranty with mine but I don't think it explicit covers burn-in so it might be a fight if I have to use it.

I'm still glad I got the TV as the picture is outstanding but I could sure do without the worries and having to watch everything I do on it. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I don’t even think about it really. My wife regularly leaves the TV on pause for long periods, I game on it too. Had it 15 months (65C8) and absolutely no sign of any problems.

examiga1990

Standard Member
Got to be honest I would never buy one after reading all bad reports on here. Put my right off. I want a TV that will last. I had a Mitsubishi CT-37C1STX years ago cost loads with stand, lasted 20 years it was a right beast to carry though. But was a great telly

D4v30

Got to be honest I would never buy one after reading all bad reports on here. Put my right off. I want a TV that will last. I had a Mitsubishi CT-37C1STX years ago cost loads with stand, lasted 20 years it was a right beast to carry though. But was a great telly

You gotta remember, what you see here isn't really representative of reality. For every person that has an issue, there are thousands that don't. People that don't have issues aren't out looking for forums to try and find resolutions. There are millions of OLEDs sold each year, they aren't all going bad.

OneWishGenie

Novice Member
Well, I've had my CX for a week now and I love the TV but there is one thing that takes away from the enjoyment. I have this constant, looming fear of burn in. Every time I watch something with a static logo or play a game with a HUD in the back of my mind is this fear of burn-in which really detracts from the enjoyment of the TV.

I've tried to mitigate the possibilty by making my task bar auto hide and use dark theme. When browsing the web I set my browser to full screen so the address bar and buttons are hidden. I installed Dar Reader in my browser so all pages are dark but with browsing the web there are still lots of static elements.

It makes me afraid to use my tv like I normally would. Especially right now where I live is under a stay at home order so we do a lot of Zoom stuff with our friends. Well that involves having static elements open for a good couple hours so now I bring out an old TV to do it on which is just ridiculous.

I've read all the stuff on burn in, I've seen rting's tests and I know with current panels it shouldn't be an issue save for extreme cases. But, it's still always there in the back of my mind.

I love the TV but what good is it if you're always afraid to use it or you have to baby it and not use it the way you want?

How do you guys get over this fear? Or am I doomed to always be afraid to use my TV?
I've had my Sony Bravia 65" OLED TV for about 14 months now and it's being used for everything, be it gaming or watching TV/movies and there's been no burn in at all. I know the first generation models had problems but to be honest I haven't seen any such burn in from any of my mate's or family OLED TVs and they're all within the 1 to 3 year old bracket. I'm confident enough that I'll be purchasing another OLED later in the year to go in my gaming room once it's been redecorated. Like you it'll probably be the LG CX. For me the "fear" of such things largely disappeared several years before I upgraded to OLED purely by seeing how well they were performing in friends houses whenever I popped around to watch a footy or boxing match. Now I wouldn't buy anything else.

Kapkirk

Of course it's a worry, and is something one should carefully consider before buying the right TV for your usage. I recently purchased a Panasonic OLED with the same fears. If I was planning on doing a lot of gaming and knowing I would have static logo's I would have just bought a non OLED TV period so as not to constantly worry about it. But as I watch mainly movies and normal TV it's not really an issue for me and so I went with OLED.
Still, after owning a Plasma TV before I kind of know what NOT to do, like leaving it on pause for ages where there are bright white static images.
I would say though that OLED manufacturers know their TV's will be used for such purposes and so are designed in a way where this should NOT really be happening now providing you are reasonably careful like not leaving the TV unattended for hours on a static screen or having the contrast and brightness set to MAX all the time, so I would just enjoy your new TV but just remain "aware of what can happen" (as you currently are)
If were were to see ANY evidence of screen burn on my new OLED under "normal use" I would get straight on to the manufacturer and be asking for a replacement or off to court I go. So far my screen has been fine, yipeee.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom