How do you clean your hifi equipment, speakers etc?

And for projectors? Ive had issues with dust blobs in the light path before but just been told by an engineer “never hoover the pj as it can suck dust into the places you are trying to clean“? He’d rather I got the pj serviced every 2 years (whatever that entails)? I’m unsure how hoovering is any worse than the PJs own fan but will stick to brushing off the vents at least until someone comes up with a better idea? Would compressed air blowing be better than hoovering I wonder?

Ive never cleaned my projector..the lens is covered when not in use but the vents are not covered.

Does anyone cover their projector.

My speakers are only ever cleaned with a dry yellow duster, they don't have any marks on because anyone who tried to touch them is now buried under the patio.

My Butler usually overseas a few housemen as they disassemble the kit to allow the housekeeper and her staff to clean using only distilled unicorn tears on velvet cloud lame...…...you can hear the difference with the distilled unicorn tears....night and day.

Seriously, the kit gets vacuum dusted maybe twice a year and the cables and interconnects get a clean with electronic component spray and a plug/unplug cycle to clear oxidation maybe every other year. One of my 5.1 speakers sits directly in sunlight through a window and as this one has a vinyl wrap, it gets a spray and microfibre wipe with 303 once a year.

Last time I even saw the back of the amp was when I hooked up the "new" TV - 2017!

Speakers tops (ancient floor standing DM603s - the ones with the yellow cones) do occasionally get a waft of the yellow duster though, as do the faceplates & tops of the various boxes (blu ray, sat, cassette (remember them?) etc).

I find that a brillo pad and copious amounts of bleach usually does the trick. The spiders and slugs don't like it but they never help with housework so why should I care about offending them?

Seriously though, I use only a very soft cloth. I do have a fan blowing over the equipment while I do it, which is probably utterly pointless but in my mind it helps blow the dust away. (Stop laughing at me! :laugh: )

As above a brillo pad, especially on my plasma display to get rid of any "burn in" marks. :thumbsup:

For equipment I use RS (Radio Spares) anti-static spray. This was recommended by a senior Arcam bloke at the first Indulgence Show. It comes out as white foam, so I’m careful not to get it on the projector screen. I use a PMC black cloth for dusting but thinking about a microfibre cloth. Tend to wipe in straight lines like a grid to avoid swirls. I use a soft car detailing brush around buttons, rear connections and displays.

I hoover with a brush attachment the inlet vents on my projector, and take care with the RS anti static stuff. Not convinced how long the effect lasts, if at all, but it’s reserved for my use only.

Occasionally clean behind the amp etc. Underneath I use one of two sizes of a flat, felt brush, probably meant for use behind radiators.

Barely ever touch speaker cones. I have used the detailing brush a few times.

Usually use a pledge fluffy duster to remove the dust, cat hair, etc and then use Pledge spray cleaner (the US stuff, not the UK as it leaves streaks and DEFINITELY NOT furniture polish!) on a micro fibre cloth to remove paw prints, fingerprints, etc from my Yamaha amp and LS50’s. Don’t touch the drivers with the cloth. Use a DustBuster hoover behind the cabinet but try to keep it away from the equipment. Only use distilled water on a micro fibre cloth on the screen of my Samsung tv followed by “polishing” with a dry microfibre cloth.

For turntable owners this is a handy tool I use for blowing accumulated fluff off the stylus or records without drooling and spitting all over them:

AcuLife Hearing Aid Air Puffer

( available from places other than Amazon - just search for AcuLife Hearing Aid Air Puffer )

I use it on my speaker cones too but I might try a makeup brush now that I've read this thread.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I Karcher mine daily using a combination of hydrochloric acid and iron filings.
Just use common sense - leave the tweeters well alone, paintbrush on the woofers if you absolutely have to and dust the cabinets down with a non-abrasive dry cloth.
Amps/avrs/streamers as per the speaker cabinets.
TV screen is best put on a hot wash then half an hour in the spin dryer before ironed on the 'wool' setting.

I Karcher mine daily using a combination of hydrochloric acid and iron filings.
Just use common sense - leave the tweeters well alone, paintbrush on the woofers if you absolutely have to and dust the cabinets down with a non-abrasive dry cloth.
Amps/avrs/streamers as per the speaker cabinets.
TV screen is best put on a hot wash then half an hour in the spin dryer before ironed on the 'wool' setting.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! Still laughing. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

For the 40 or so years I've had hifi components, I've used very well rung out sponge-cloths (or before they existed J-cloths). I usually dab some washing-up liquid on the cloths before wringing them out to deal with any greasy marks/fingerprints. Works very well for me- no micro-scratches and traps all the dust (rinse and repeat) and only leaves visible water-marks on the very shiniest of surfaces. Can use a microfibre cloth afterward to get rid of these if I'm feeling particularly anal that day!

As a result, some of my oldest components, such as a metal-bodied arcam amp, still looks as good as new when dusted as above.

I'd never use any products such as polish or similar. I used to work for a hifi store in my youth and the mess a daily dust with cleaning products made of the equipment on display was shocking. I truly couldn't understand why they didn't just use a damp cloth as I did at home..

I use Autoglym super resin polish every so often to clean my speakers. I cover the tops of the amp, cd player and speakers with pillow cases when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_153422288.jpg
    IMG_20201029_153422288.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 39
All that effort for mono....

Seriously those speakers need an extra 4ft between them.

I move them during serious listening sessions.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_154550717.jpg
    IMG_20200812_154550717.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 40

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom