How do you clean kitchen based speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mark2410, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have a pail of speakers taht live in the kitchen, they play podcasts on such when im suffuring the pain that is kitchen work. so i have noticed that they have ccumulated a layer of that fine kitchen grease that comes from cooking with olive oil too often, so i think lets clean them. turns out not so easy as i thought. ive been scrubbing away like a crazy sob and while its coming off its painfully slow, painfull to my hand too.

so im sure others must have encountered this problem too, what to use on them? i cant pick the speaker up and soak the thing in soapy water so is there some magic technique or chemical i can use?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,163
    Are we talking about the speaker Cones, the speaker Grills, or the Speaker Cabinets?

Next specifically what are the speakers - brand and model?

It depends on what you need to clean.

Steve/bluewizard

3. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    oh just the cabinets.

they are just Roth Charlie 2.1's CHARLiE 2.1 : Roth Audio

so the cabinets are just plastic, urgh, white plastic too.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,163
    Here are a couple of things to try, but I would try them on a small inconspicuous spot to make sure they aren't going to damage the surface. Most likely with the wrong solvent, the surface will just be dulled.

Start with common household cleaner.

Also consider citrus based household or auto-shop cleaner/degreasers. The Auto-Shop cleaners are just a more concentrated version of common household cleaners.

The next step up would be Auto Mechanics Hand Soap (liquid or cream soap, not bar soap) which does an excellent job of cutting through grease. My favorite in this catagory is "Fast Orange" which is a citrus based hand cleaner. But just about any brand would work.

The next step up and moving to more solvent based cleaners would be common Isopropyl Alcohol. I use this all over my house, for counter tops, pots and pans, sinks, etc.... It has both solvent and disinfecting properties.

However, Isopropyl Alcohol can dull some types of plastics.

The next step up is to truly solvent based cleaners. Product such as Goo-Gone or Disolves-It or CitraSolv. These will dissolve glue, so you want to be careful with them. They also smell and leave a residue, so once you clean the grease with them, you then have to clean the solvent residue with a more common household cleaner.

These solvent based cleaners are available in most grocery stores, auto supply stores, general merchandise store, even fabric shops. The are typically used for removing glue residue or chewing gum from hair, carpets, furniture. Or for removing permanent marker from household surfaces.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You could also try lighter fluid. Cuts through grease and evaporates quickly.

Good luck. Cookie.

6. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hit up lakeland and bought some sticky stuff remover, will you you know how it goes tomorrow

7. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    well just tried it, it was the liquid one as thats all they had rather than the gel that ive used before.

so for its been kinda rubbish. oh well.

8. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Flash.

9. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Living on my own and having to do all my own cleaning DOH! I know that any ordinary kitchen cleaner should remove the kind of grease you are talking about. Simple washing up liquid is designed to attract and suspend grease in hot water.

Next up is sugar soap which is used for cleaning surfaces prior to re painting but is likely to dull the surface.

As the speakers are white plastic, in the kitchen and you have tried to cleaning them I would suggest that the plastic is discoloured so a respray might be the answer.

10. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    no they were covered in grease, they were slightly tacky to the touch. i can only assume somuthing in the plastic attracted it because the laptop next to them wasnt. was through much scrubbing but one is mostly clean, i think for the other one ill need to buy something more powerful.

washing up liquid did nothing to it, of course cant really use hot water, speaker not dunkable.

11. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    One other thing you could try,as you might already have some and that is a cream cleaner such as Cif.

It is quite surprising what that stuff will get off and is essentially the same thing sold at inflated prices as a cleaner for white UPVC windows.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  12. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    wouldnt it be a tad abrasive?

13. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,163
    Dried grease is very difficult to remove as it is essentially Linoleum. Linoleum (does anybody remember this) is linseed oil spread on a surface and allowed to dry. Extremely durable.

However, Mechanics Hand Cleaner is a good place to start.

The "sticky stuff" remover, is that a brand name or just a description? If this is a solvent based cleaner it should do the job, but remember dried grease under any circumstance is going to be difficult to remove.

Spread a thin layer of 'sticky stuff remover' and let is sit for a while, then try to wipe clean.

Also try Isopropyl Alcohol with acts as a solvent. But, Alcohol can dull some plastics. Try it in an in conspicuous spot first.

In any event, expect the grease to be difficult to remove. When dried, it is essentially a layer of plastic.

Steve/bluewizard

14. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  15. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Given how difficult the grease is to get off, you need something tough to get through the muck so there is always the chance of dulling the surface. Toothpaste and T-Cut can restore the shine but those too are slightly abrasive.

The ideal thing is to use something that will dissolve the grease but then there is the danger of the solvent also damaging the speaker.

BlueWizard has posted many ideas to try.