How do you calibrate OLED TV?

richard-wong

I bought a philips OLED. just wondering how do you go about calibrate it with a colorimeter. the spec says calman ready but there is no calman software for Philips (there is LG, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung).

thanks

JustTheFacts

I bought a philips OLED. just wondering how do you go about calibrate it with a colorimeter. the spec says calman ready but there is no calman software for Philips (there is LG, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung).

thanks
When the Philips calibrator’s calibrate their OLED TVs with their highly sophisticated equipment and the studies from their R&D departments they take everything into consideration. For instance when I first bought my OLED TV I thought there was to much the blacks, they were overemphasized (like HDR for blacks). After watching my TV for a while I found out this was actually more pleasing to my personal tastes. What is HDR OVEREMPHASIZED brighter highlights. The calibrator’s at the manufactures have done more research than any calibrator you are going to find on AVForums. Give the preset calibration time and just play with the brightness for your individual tastes.

richard-wong

Thanks for your reply. Shall do.

However my understanding is that each screen’s colour presentation is ever so slightly different under the ambient light which is why you constantly calibrating monitors for colour critical works as well as live ambient monitoring.

Anyway I am sure out of the box the colour will be very pleasant.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
When the Philips calibrator’s calibrate their OLED TVs with their highly sophisticated equipment and the studies from their R&D departments they take everything into consideration. For instance when I first bought my OLED TV I thought there was to much the blacks, they were overemphasized (like HDR for blacks). After watching my TV for a while I found out this was actually more pleasing to my personal tastes. What is HDR OVEREMPHASIZED brighter highlights. The calibrator’s at the manufactures have done more research than any calibrator you are going to find on AVForums. Give the preset calibration time and just play with the brightness for your individual tastes.

Sorry but your simplification of this is frankly rubbish and an insult to calibrators of which there are some talented professionals on these forums. Using the preset calibration and adjusting the brightness shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the TV works. What advice next don't switch off the soap opera effect because the TV manufacturers decided film directors had got it wrong?

If it suits you fine but that doesn't mean you should knock others that want to or supply those services. I mean if manufacturers got it right, then they would get the colour balance right straight out of the box and not give you masses of options including Day and Night calibration wouldn't they :facepalm:

Thanks for your reply. Shall do.

However my understanding is that each screen’s colour presentation is ever so slightly different under the ambient light which is why you constantly calibrating monitors for colour critical works as well as live ambient monitoring.

Anyway I am sure out of the box the colour will be very pleasant.

Yes, that's the point, look after the differences in OLED panels with those suffering from 5% banding. Why would colour be any more consistent? TV calibration in some cases has got better over the years and out of the box they are better than they used to be especially with specific modes. However accurate calibration takes into consideration ambient light and why most decent TVs have an (ISF) Day and Night settings as the calibration levels will be different. If manufacturers got it right all the time there would be no need for all the tweaking options :)

JustTheFacts

For most peoples taste the manufacturer’s calibration is just as good as a professionals calibration. The manufacturer’s spend millions of dollars and vast amounts of research coming up with these preset calculations. For most people the preset calibrations other than the brightness is the way to go. If you come from a plasma TV to an OLED TV at first the calibrations may look strange because your mind is use to a different look. Give the mind time to adjust to the preset calibration, play with the brightness and enjoy.

For others a professional calibration may be needed. Picture quality usually isn’t the driving factor that causes people to get their TVs professionally calibrated. In many people, including myself to some degree, unless they have the absolute best TV they won’t be satisfied. In their mind a professionally calibrated TV is better than an uncalibrated TV and therefore I need a calibrated TV. When you really analyze it it has very little to do with picture quality. “We must shift America/Europe from a needs to a desires culture…. People must be trained to desire, to want new things, even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must share a new mentality. Man’s desires must overshadow his needs.”
Jeremy Lent (A Wall Street Banker) from A Patterning Instinct

Last edited:

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Have you actually had a TV calibrated?

Read the reviews on avforums and r tings and you will see that a lot of them can be made more accurate out of the box. A decent calibrator will show you a before and after to show the difference. This applies to both hdr and non HDR options, the same way it applied to 3D when that was around.

A modern tv will have several picture modes including dynamic with some people like, yet this has luminous green grass. That’s not at all accurate.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the Philips oled event that is going to run. A manufacturer demonstrating their TVs but “after spending millions and knowing best” the first thing they do is a calibration, I mean if it was that good out of the box why bother…

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom