1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU calibrate brightness?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I know the standard way of doing this, but I'm not convinced that it is the correct approach for panel projectors. I believe that there is an optimum brightness level for these projectors and that its the source, In my case a Radeon based PC that should be calibrated to match the projector. If you put up a black screen and play with the projector brightness you will notice that the screen wont go any darker beyond a certain point. It is at this point which you will get the most out of the projector. Any lighter and you are not getting the best out of the blacks and any darker you will be killing CR because black can't get any darker. Once you have done this simply adjust the brightness (probably upwards) on the video cards overlay settings.

Jeff

2. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice tip Jeff,

Will try it some time when the Radeon 8500 is working better.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    hi jeff spoke to you on the chat about his but here you go.
    A normal pluge type pattern should allow you to set the brightness as low as you can without losing the above black level bar.

I often find people set brightness too low wanting to get totally black blacks : this is all well and good but a lot of displays ( crts included) are incapable of resolving above black intensities if they have a totally black black point. a bit of light in the blacks at the benefit of extra detail in the lower intensities is preferrable to flat clipped blacks any day : will make dvd look a lot like vhs otherwise!.