How do you back up your NAS drive?

Just Old

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded my CD collection onto a Qnap, and am now considering the best and simplest way to back up the files.
I was considering a portable hard drive, but is this the best way to do it?
I just want to plug it in press a button and its been stored.......any suggestions?
1.5tb/
And while Im here I'd like to know if anyone has ever had to use the back up because you lost all your CD files!!!!!! God forbid!

And while Im here I'd like to know if anyone has ever had to use the back up because you lost all your CD files!!!!!! God forbid!

I've got my FLAC files backed up onto a separate hard drive connected to my PC, and to a portable passport drive.

I also have the same files but in lossless WMA format burnt onto recordable DVDs. Belt, braces and clean pants!

None have ever been needed, but if I didn't have them...

They're all stored in the house though, so if that burns down...

If your collection is valuable to you then take two backup copies, one on an external drive and the other up in the cloud - i.e. onedrive/google drive/a another backup service. It will be quicker to restore from a local backup than the cloud but the cloud offers protection should your house burn down.

My NAS is set up as RAID 5 array so unless two drives fail at the same time it should be pretty robust. Physically backing it up now is probably not feasible as there's around 9TB of music and video stored on it.

RAID cannot be considered safe as a backup. If the software has a glitch or the controller fails then you can loose all drives in the array - have seen it happen. RAID was invented to provide high availability for corporate systems. No company would risk not backing up a RAID array.

Just downloaded my CD collection onto a Qnap

How did you find setting up your QNAP NAS? I've been going through the process this week and I think the customer service folk staffing LiveChat are beginning to loose patience with me!

If your collection is valuable to you then take two backup copies, one on an external drive and the other up in the cloud - i.e. onedrive/google drive/a another backup service.

I agree that a 'cloud' backup approach is a good idea as one part of an overall backup strategy. I've been using the Microsoft Office 365 1TB 'cloud' service. I'm able to upload as many folders and files (to the 'cloud') as I wish at any one time yet I haven't managed to download more than a single file at any one time from the cloud onto my PC. I'm new to all this so hope I've missed something but check out potential 'clouds' to ensure they can be used in the way you may need to.

For me, the backup solution will be 'cloud' (assuming I can find a way of downloading more than a single file at a time) and an external HDD connected to the NAS. By the look of it, QNAP offer pretty extensive software for this purpose. I also intend to burn a few really precious tracks/albums onto disc as well, either DVD RAM or possibly M-DISC. I believe M-DISC is the best format for archiving purposes with a lifespan that will see us all out (estimated at 1000 years). Some disc burners fitted to computers have the M-DISC logo to indicate compatibility but they're not unduly pricey if you have to buy one and they playback on DVD or Bluray players, depending on the type of M-DISC purchased.

General recommendation is that one backup stores the files in a different file format to the other(s).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Re backing up to Ondrive are you copying the files or using a backup program? A backup program will create a single backup image which can be pushed up and pulled down.

Re backing up to Ondrive are you copying the files or using a backup program? A backup program will create a single backup image which can be pushed up and pulled down.

Just copied files and folders onto OneDrive then found (as far as I could understand anyhow) I could only download individual files not groups of files or folders containing files back onto my PC.

My knowledge on this whole subject is very limited but the backup programs I've used in the recent past - to backup PC data - made it impossible (for me) to extract individual files from the backed-up data because it had been 'zipped' and file names changed to meaningless character strings which no longer described/reflected the folder/file content. Probably fine to restore the entire backup but that's not how I wanted to use it. So I'm wary of 'bulk' backup software but it could be the only practical solution.

Just Old - If you're QNAP NAS refuses to go into standby mode after a pre-set period of idleness, try this tip. Worked for me:

Navigate to Control Panel>System Settings>General Settings>Time and make sure its set to "synchronize with an Internet time server".

A bug in the latest QNAP software causes the HDD's to remain permanently active. Changing the Time setting as above shouldn't affect anything in theory, but due to a bug, it does!

Apologies for going off-kilter.

Blimey this forum has got as complicated to navigate as setting the central heating clock on my boiler!!!!! Soooo many sub folders and as I originally posted in streaming it got moved,,,anyway thanks all for the comments and advice.

On the Qnap set up I have to say that I too would have been lost but, Peter Tysons in Carlisle gave exceptional service.
Im not too savvy with all this tech stuff, but wanted to keep up with the latest trends so it seemed the way to go.
I will write a review because I don't want to go into it all twice.
Thanks again all!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom