1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you adjust colour temp on VW11HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    The Sony VW11HT has several ‘custom’ colour temperature settings aside from the usual high or low. I can’t work out how you are supposed to change these, but one of these presets makes a vast improvement to the overall contrast / brightness of the picture without seemingly altering the values of the brightness or contrast controls.

How do you adjust these custom temperature settings? If it needs a service menu, why call them ‘custom’ settings?

The standard ‘high’ or ‘low’ colour temperature settings appear to be very dark, needing the brightness setting up to about 80 percent to see any detail.

Please could someone tell me how to adjust them properly, if it’s possible.

Thanks

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that Gordon will be offering his ISF Calibration services for 11HT owners to sort the colour temp. issues with this particular PJ. I want the full calibration monty so that I know it is set up perfectly, Gordons the man and I reckon it won't be too long before he is paying a wee visit to Leeds to make my grin even bigger than it is now.

3. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    good question wish i new the answer :)
    i have my brightness on about 50 per and contrast about 80
    and i run it with cinema black on (750) seems to do the trick
    what screen are you using ?
    is the service mode the same as the 10ht ?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Sorry guys I typed out a big reply and thought it posted this afternoon but it seems not....

So, to answer your question. To set the temperature properly you need a few things. You need a source of grey windowed images of varying brightness, ie 30 ire - 80 ire and you need something to compare or measure these with. Comparing would require a source of 6500K light to match the colour of grey too. (actually quite hard to do this, it's called using an optical comparator). Second method is to use a device which measures the temperature of the light and the amount of green, red adn blue in it. This is often reffered to as a Video Analyser. There are other devices that can do this but lets just stick with these.

If you want to muck aroudn yourslef then to get in to the first layer of the service menu press,

enter, enter, up, down, enter......

I'll be seeing a chap with a VPL11HT between Xmas and New year and hope to measure it to see if it's vastly different to VPL10. He's got a Vutec "greydove" screen....Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes!

Gordon

5. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be seeing a chap with a VPL11HT between Xmas and New year and hope to measure it to see if it's vastly different to VPL10. He's got a Vutec "greydove" screen....Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it makes!

Gordon
    Surley Sony MUST have calibrated the 10ht/11ht with such a device!! making the high & low settings to suit most people and the other custom settings(1-6) are a mixture of the high & low readings..buy the way players like the denon 2800 have their own settings that CAN and DO alter output to the pj to me its pointless getting the pj calibrated if people dont set up the player FIRST...for eg playing around with the gamma control makes a big difference to the brightness.....just my thoughts but I wish I had some one like you around just the same, ever thought of a holiday in Kakadu National Park in Aust. where they made that crocodile movie with paul hogan
    cheers laurie

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Nope ideally you need to calibrate the display to be giving the optimum intensity range and overall accuracy in the grayscale before you make "soft" adjustments further up the image path. This way you will not be fighting the display with the source.

Gamma should have no effect on peak brightness or black point ( if its 0) it changes the distribution curve of the intensity scale. Its very important to have this set correctly.

7. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith
    I agree if you get Gordon or some one to do it directly on the pj but if you are using your dvd player to calibrate with VE or Avia surley if the dvd player is out of calibration your readings on the pj will not look right.....am I'm right!!
    cheers laurie

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    The DVD2800 does have controls which will affect the ability to get the projector optimised for black and white point. Mainly because innaccurate setting of them will crush and clip black and white info. Now, if the projector itself is out of whack then you are going to have problems setting the DVDplayer.....complicated isn't it!

I'm sure Sony do use video analysis to set temperatures. It's just they aren't setting LOW or High temperatures to 6500K. Presumably they are setting them to something they think is more appealing.......As you point oout as well, changing settings in the chain before the projector has an effect too. This includes using different DVD players.....You are calibrating the whole chain.

Gordon

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    A few questions for you;-

(1)What is SMART2?

(2)What is a CC FILTER?

(3)Is the 6500K ideal not geared towards NTSC as opposed to PAL?(I.E.what would be the ideal colour temp for PAL).

(4)What is the ideal resolution/scan rate to set your P.C. if you output to the Sony vpl11ht? (bearing in mind the native panel-I have heard the Sony vpl10ht could not work at native-dropping into 4:3.?)

(5)With an ISF calibration what would you hope to achieve and how?

(6)Is DRC bypassed totally via p.c.input?

I ask these questions because I have decided to buy a 11ht.
    Many Thanks,
    Doug

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Doug,

This is my one and only Christmas day post. Hope it is of use.....

1: Don't know. Will look in to it

2: CC filters. Presume you are talking about colour correction filters. They are used to stop the passing of certain colours of light in the visible spectrum. Usually to get the co-ordinates of one of the primary colours in a display device closer to the standard set down by, PAL/NTSC/SMPTE/EBU....

3: 6500K is a misnomer. It's a temperature that has been used as a reference point for the colour of grey in several playback systems. It's a "consumer friendly number" As you know display devices work by adding colour to black and white images. If black and white has any colour in it then the final colour will be tinged that way. The reality is that grey should be set to D65. This is the standard for PAL,NTSC and many other formats. The difference is in colour gammmut with NTSC and PAL. They have different primary colour co-ordinates so a display built for NTSC will not be able to display all the colours of the PAL broadcast system. A display system calibrated to D65 should come alot closer to getting a correct image playing back DVD'd and TV from UK and US than one that isn't.

4: Never used a HTPC with VPL11. So don't know. The Big Picture guys should be able to help you.

5: ISF ing is really just setting front panel controls, reporting on perfromance of certain parts of the display chain, and then setting temperatures to those required for the playback of the formats you watch. I would do this with tets equipment and would expect the end result to be a measureable improvement in performance as well as a visible one. Another side product is likely to be a longer life for the device in question. I also offer other services, geometry, convergence etc but these aren't really ISF stuff.

6: Again, don't know, speak to Sony

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!