1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you accommodate all your sources?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by General Skanky, Jan 2, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just curious, but my Yamaha A2 now only just manages all my sources, so far I have -

Pioneer Laser Disc Player 515
    Pioneer 737 DVD
    Yamaha 795 DVD
    Sky Digital
    Playstation
    Sanyo VCR
    Cable TV

The amp only just copes.
    What if I also had a camcorder, another console or whatever. It doesn't take much to fill an amp up. After loop throughs, scart etc, space is at a premium.

What have you done to allow for any extra kit you've bought?
    I like to have my stuff fit - and - forget style, ie, always plugged in. I hate plugging in and out.

And please don't say buy an AX1, the wife would hang me at dawn.:rolleyes: :D

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    General,

The answer to your problem is very simple and that is to connect your sources directly to the TV and just use one audio output for the analogue back to the amp.

All you need now is to find a TV with seven scart sockets. I'm sure that there most be loads to pick from.

Seriously though, I don't suppose that there are many of us with a Laser Disc player and two DVD players who also have Sky and cable TV.

Ian

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    General

Why the 2 DVD players :confused:

Si

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Also, Why Sky Digital and a Cable box???

Sounds a bit overkill to me m8 :)

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got two DVD's

I've got an older R1 Pioneer 606D. I upgraded to a sony CX-850 and never got rid of the old one.

I've got ....

Pioneer DVD -->> into optical 2, and direct to projector component
    Panny VCR -->> into VCR-1
    Pioneer LD -->> into LD and coax
    -->> also plugged in CD inputs for CD playing
    Sony DVD -->> into DVD and optical 1
    Playstation 1 -->> into V-AUX
    Playstation 2 -->> into V-AUX (I just unplug PS1 and plug in PS2 at the console end - cable does both) and optical 3
    Nintendo 64 -->> into VCR-2

plugged through a denon AV1D which is now full

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Same here!! Also got 2 CD Players but thats another issue!

Into a JVC TV.

Toshiba 210 into AV1 RGB
    Panasonic A360 into AV2 SVHS
    JVC video into AV3 SVHS
    Dreamcast into AV4 SVHS
    Monitor out from amp into AV4 Composite

I could also loop thru a Digibox if that was plugged into AV1 and the Tosh into the Digibox.

I dont use the amp (A1SE), for passing thru any signals, could do as its got loads of inputs/outputs.:D

cheers

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Two DVD's because when I bought my 737 I never got around to selling the other.
    Cable is the old analogue box (so it doesn't really count, RF). Originally had that, then my roof aerial fell down, and as Sky didn't do ITV, I kept that too.

To make things worse, I also have another vcr upstais and my old Panasonic 21" TV. Never got around to selling them either.:rolleyes:

I also have enough remotes to fill a shelf!
    Inlcuding an Angel learning remote.

In the attic now sit a pair of KEF Q15 speakers, a KEF 80c speaker and a full Alphason equipment rack, 5 shelves!!!
    If I upgrade my rear speakers now I'd then have a full second set of speakers (sans sub). Do you think the wife would let me set it up in the bedroom with the old TV, vcr and poss old Sky box in the future?? Or would that be a bit risky??:eek:

If I bought a PS2, I would be stuffed.
    I'd never sell the PS1!

It really doesn't take much to fill your rack and amp inputs. I'd never have believed I'd acquire so much!

When(!) Sky+ becomes more affordable, will I be getting rid of my videos and old sky box????????????? :) :)

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-video (if thats what you're using) from your ps1 works with the ps2, so you just switch the console end and da-da ps2.

I've got several "backup copies" of my ps-1 games so need both so its not a replacement, its a supplement.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    'Supplement'. Exactly.
    So another unit connected to the amp. :D

Just what I need.:)

10. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why wouldn't you bin the PS1?

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If you stopped hoarding stuff for hoardings sake then you will have no problems.

12. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You're right of course Kevo.
    I'll have to sell some stuff.

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Why not post your ware on this forum in the Sales and Wants Section.

14. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the acumulation of older equipment, I never get round to selling anything, just shifting stuff to other rooms.

I've still got a Yamaha A500 , an A1000, a A2070 and my new Denon 3802 all in different rooms (big old town house). The 3802 is connected to 2 x DVD's (one with 6ch output) 2 x CD's (one with Karaoke) 2 x VCR's (one S-VHS) analogue and digital satellite, cassete deck, MD and (God forbid) a turntable.

As for the problem of connecting multiple sources; I use a scart switch box for all the less important analogue inputs this allows me to swich all video signals to my Panasonic Plasma and all audio to the amp using a scart to multi RCA lead.

The only problem I have is the constant demand from the wife and kids to switch the telly on 'cause no bugger else can do it!!

15. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to treat myself to a progressive scan player (denon 2800)

But 'er indoors has dictated that I have to sell the old ones before I can buy a new one, and that the selling prices of the old ones must match the cost of the new one.

ah well, guess I'll have to sell some other bits of old stuff too :-(

16. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The answer to your problem is very simple and that is to connect your sources directly to the TV and just use one audio output for the analogue back to the amp."

What and have the TVs crap quality components possibly interfere with the sound quality...No Thanks

"Seriously though, I don't suppose that there are many of us with a Laser Disc player and two DVD players who also have Sky and cable TV."

I have Laserdisc, 2 videos, 1 dvd player, sky plus Dreacmast, N64, and other consoles...

Luckly the AV amp so far has enough sockets..

I use an AV switching Box to link all the video devices so that I can also take sound and picture to the TV with no AV amp on - dont always want neighbours in surround!!!

(What I do is take one output socket to the amp, the other output socket on all devices to the switch box, then i can by pass the AV reciever it I dont want the whole 'thing' or the woman is watching a girly film....)

:clown:

17. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't worry your not the only one with kit that sounds ludicrus i have the same problem my living room is like dixons (only i know how it all works )
    i have :-

2 itv dig boxes 1 nokia 1 pace
    1 analogue cable box
    1 sky digi box
    1 digital sat box ( for seca channels )
    1 dvhs vid jvc
    1 svhs vid jvc
    1 vhs vid jvc
    1 vhs vid panasonic
    1 cd player technics
    1 dvd sony 7700

i know people are going to say yeah right and how do you watch them and what's the point but this is the thing that will really get you wondering how sane i am i have 6 tv's

yes i said six
    1 widescreen 36in panasonic
    4 4:3 20in daewoo
    1 14in sharp

i am fortunate to have an ax1 bought for all the inputs but even so i only have 2 videos connected at the mo the other 2 are on constant record for cctv which is also on 2 tv's i obviously use the widescreen for a monitor one tv ( 14in ) is for qvc yes that qvc that believe it not was the only requirement to keep the other half quiet that and to build a piece of furniture for it all.mine is the same story as a few others in that it just seemed to accumalate only mine all stayed in the same room.
    just incase anyone is wondering i am not rich this is the only thing i spend my money on and the house is not huge living room is 7m x 3m my unit takes up one end and blocks a window and measures 3m wide x 1.5 m high so when you think you have problems just think of mine eventually i got an electricion to put a circuit in just for my kit 25 plugs including extensions, boosters and distributers next upgrade is speakers .

have fun all and no this is not a joke just check my elec bill.:eek:

18. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one to think that we all might be guilty of being a little obsessive here? :blush: