1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do/would you organise...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MitsiTurbo, Jan 23, 2005.

1. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    ...a large mp3 collection?? The reason I am asking, is my slimp3 server is in a right mess. Can never find songs that I am looking for! Am going to sort them out properly and then do all the ID3 tags aswell. I currently have them organised in directories by genre (apart from ripped albums which have their own directory. I am thinking of giving each artist a directory and organising that way.

Your thoughts on a postcard please! :rolleyes:

Many Thanks

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I give each artist it's own folder and then a sub folder for each album/single by that artist. I have upwards of 8000 tracks on my PC (and counting) but everything thus far is quick and easy to locate...

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I also have a folder for each artist and then a sub-folder for each album easy to oganise and find what youa re looking for. The only problem is I needed to create an artist folder called various for compilations.

4. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Itunes can do that - you select the tracks you want as a compliation and edit the tags - there is a tick box to say compliations - when you let Itunes manage your folders it creates a folder call compilations and a seperate folder according to the album name under that.

5. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What ever you do don't let Windows Media Player's Libary sort your collection for you! I once did and within seconds my entire music collection was in pieces. Always make a backup first if you use any automated software!!

I do all mine by hand now, like the guys above:

Main Music dir, 25 dirs labelled A - Z, a dir per Artist, then a dir per Album
    i.e. \Music\C\Coldplay\Rush of Blood to the Head\[mp3's in here]

I use Tag & Rename (latest) to look up the tags from Amazon, make sure they are all ok and correct if necessary, and then rename them to [tracknumber].[albumname].mp3. The renaming is done to keep the name under 8 characters so they can also sit on my xBox. For each album I also grab the album art from Tag & Rename and rename it to folder.jpg, works well in windows explorer and the xBox. The album art should also appear within iTunes, which is what I use to view and play my mp3's and transfer to my iPod.

Can't go wrong if you do it that way, just takes a while, but then I am anal so I don't care. I'm also very bored at work which explains why I've gone in to so much detail!!!