how do u watch Tv etc. on a projector

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
hey guys. I'm doing a PJ replacement projector where my PJ is replacing a TV in my front room.

Only issue atm is ease of use/content. What device can I hook up to the projector/AVR which allows me to watch TV really easily?
Thanks for any hints/tips on this.. proving harder than i thought.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I use my HTPC if I want to watch telly on the projector (which is rare these days). I have a Freesat USB module connected to the PC and run DVBviewer for TV channels.

Otherwise its the firestick for BBC Iplayer, ITV Hub, My 5 etc.

sim12

A Nowtv stick or box, about as cheap and cheerful as you will get at about £15, that will give full access to all freeview channels and all catchup tv content, and should you want access to any of the sky packages you can buy the passes.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
A Nowtv stick or box, about as cheap and cheerful as you will get at about £15, that will give full access to all freeview channels and all catchup tv content, and should you want access to any of the sky packages you can buy the passes.

Cheers mate. The new ones don't do freeview I think.. only the olde rones.

I use my HTPC if I want to watch telly on the projector (which is rare these days). I have a Freesat USB module connected to the PC and run DVBviewer for TV channels.

Otherwise its the firestick for BBC Iplayer, ITV Hub, My 5 etc.

Too complex mate. Need a one box easy solution., The room /box is basically for when my granddad comes so I can stick some TV on in the room and leave him there with a few other family members. The home cinema room is too much for him.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
I thought you were looking to put TV through the projector or did I miss something in your op?

why not get a Humax (or similar) freebies box with HDMI out?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I thought you were looking to put TV through the projector or did I miss something in your op?

why not get a Humax (or similar) freebies box with HDMI out?

I am just looking to watch freeview on a projector, basically.

No actual televisions involved :)

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I’m based in Ireland and use a Ferguson Combi box running through my amp, I need Freeview for the local channels and the Freesat tuner for the UK stations. There isn’t a lot of demo worthy material on at the moment but I snapped a few shots to give you an idea of the PQ on a 100“ screen.

4B866807-2DD3-4819-9098-5A380C2B4FFA.jpeg
67BF636A-FCC0-47B4-83C1-2F7BFDDF0EE0.jpeg
AB0A2B46-87B3-4637-8810-F35388E1ED30.jpeg
AF4D6E81-73B3-4CF8-88B6-B7810AEA13FF.jpeg
2A99C5FD-E78C-4342-849D-DC247DD96459.jpeg
4AD677CD-A9F3-49BC-86AD-45811B727E1A.jpeg

Gerry557

I use a humax aura free view box into the amp then to the PJ.

Not wanting to put you off but can you watch the pj with light in the room.

I ask cos sometimes we don't want to sit in the dark just to watch tv so now we mix and match.

Pulse1

If it's just to watch Freeview then the Manhattan T1 freeview box will do, it's only £40, they also do recorder boxes which are obviosly more expensive.

Brian

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
YouView, BT Vision and modern Freeview boxes use HDMI as an output. It might only be 720p or 1080i, but the projector will do the rest with the signal it receives. The issue you might have is if you are unable to use it with a surround sound amp which doesn't have HDMI inputs as not all Freeview boxes include an optical output (most do though). Why not take a look at what Freeview options are available to you. As you also have a HTPC, you could use some of the catchup apps - if its windows 10, and you use the latest edge, you can create your very own edge app. I use this option for Disney+ with great results. You can also get yourself a windows 10 remote air mouse for navigation (they're not perfect, but do make it easier - I use this one and the only button it's missing if the F11 for full screen)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom