How do today’s cheap TVs compare to yesterday’s good ones?

sacoops

Standard Member
i haven’t upgraded my tv in a long time. In fact I’m still using a Panasonic tx p42g10b that i inherited some years ago, although from what I understand this was a good tv in its day. The reason I haven’t upgraded is due to the fact that I can’t really fit a TV of more than 42 inches into the space I have, so an upgrade never really seemed worthwhile as I wouldn’t be getting any more screen for my buck.

If I were to upgrade to one of today’s cheap to mid range TVs, would I notice a difference when watching 1080p content?

cypher007

I have a Samsung LE40A786 that's still going strong after 11 years. It has local dimming and I think looks way better than some of the cheap sets ive seen and used at work.

kenfowler3966

The simple answer is probably no as the 42" of a few years ago gave a pretty good HD picture, whereas now the market assumes you want to go 55" or more and defaults to 4K. There are some smaller sets at around 49" which are ok, but I suspect if you are happy with your HD picture you may regret buying a 42" 4k set. Hd may still be reasonable but SD may be very poor as these sets are now aimed at the budget end and have very little profit in them. My daughter is still using my 9 year or more old LG 42" and the picture is still good, and my son is very happy with my next 46" Samsung at around 5 years old. (And both these had 3d which is no longer available)

Timmy C

I'm in a similar situation in that my main living room can't really accommodate anything bigger than the 42" Pioneer Kuro I currently have in there and that's only a 720 set. Being an old plasma it does have a rather wide bezel so I might just get away with a modern 50" in the same space but I've not spotted anything to this day that I think would be a worthwhile upgrade, particularly as I only watch broadcast TV on it.

gameguru1360

Standard Member
man I miss my 42" panasonic plasma. It ran for about 12 years. Gave it to a buddy who said he thought it was going bust because he heard buzzing in the back. I said that's normal because you're hearing the motor producing the plasma gas. I heard it too when I first powered it on and thought I had a bum tv and was ready to take it back but was told the plasma tvs do that

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I said that's normal because you're hearing the motor producing the plasma gas. I heard it too when I first powered it on and thought I had a bum tv and was ready to take it back but was told the plasma tvs do that
You need to read up on Plasma TV technology.

TheBlueBrazil

My Panasonic 42PX70 is still going strong although it's been moved to the bedroom as I wanted a bigger screen. It will be getting kept until it stops working as it's still an excellent piece of kit.

Top Bottom