• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do they make diet coke?

Koeman2021

Banned
Maybe one for the random musings thread but I'm sat up nursing a poorly child staring at a can of diet coke.

How do they make something that tastes fairly decent, but yet only comes out at 1 calorie and no fat.

I get the point it's all chemical, but surely getting something like this down to 1 calorie must have been a great achievement.

Why has nothing else been developed that achieves such a low calorie content, foods etc..(not other diet drinks)

Any thoughts?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
You want to start eating radishes then :laugh:
Calories in Radishes, Raw | Nutrition and Health Facts

There's nothing special about Diet Coke. The sugar in regular Coke is what contains the calories. The sweeteners in Diet Coke don't contain many/any calories hence why it has almost no calories.
If you removed the sugar from orange juice or any other drink & replaced it with sweetners it would also have almost no calories.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Add Vodka and you have a diet from the gods themselves ;) you don't even need a work out as you are unconscious , Win Win :D.

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
You want to start eating radishes then :laugh:
Calories in Radishes, Raw | Nutrition and Health Facts

There's nothing special about Diet Coke. The sugar in regular Coke is what contains the calories. The sweeteners in Diet Coke don't contain many/any calories hence why it has almost no calories.
If you removed the sugar from orange juice or any other drink & replaced it with sweetners it would also have almost no calories.
Celery is the winner, you burn more calories eating it than you get from it.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
There's actually a lot of calories in alcohol
Unit and Calorie Calculator

Indeed there is, however there is much debate about how the body uses those calories as opposed to the same number in actual food, when it comes to putting weight on.
Some say your body will burn those calories in a very different way.

I'm sure many have experienced the drinking before bed and then burning up in bed, as your body is using those calories up in a LOT of heat.
There is much debate about this still.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Indeed there is, however there is much debate about how the body uses those calories as opposed to the same number in actual food, when it comes to putting weight on.
Some say your body will burn those calories in a very different way.

I'm sure many have experienced the drinking before bed and then burning up in bed, as your body is using those calories up in a LOT of heat.
There is much debate about this still.
I have 2 words in response:
Beer bellies!! :laugh:;)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I have 2 words in response:
Beer bellies!! :laugh:;)

I believe that is indeed as you say the calories in a LOT of liquid as in beer.
I should of explained I was more focussing on the spirits.
No real sugar there, just alcohol

Likewise it's not that simple.
EG. The lifestyle/food intake of someone who "likes their beer"

So seeing big belly and drinking beer could not be a simple a 1 and 1 = 2 as one may think

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Is it not roughly the same method in diet coke as in regular peanuts?

Because we all know regular peanuts are just the chocolate covered ones that someone has sooked all the chocolate off

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Diet coke?
They carbonate water, than throw in some food dye.
How the hell anyone can say that stuff tastes of anything is beyond me.
The likes of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max would blow their taste buds apart.

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Diet coke?
They carbonate water, than throw in some food dye.
How the hell anyone can say that stuff tastes of anything is beyond me.
The likes of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max would blow their taste buds apart.

Aren't diet coke and coke zero basically identical? It's mainly a marketing exercise as men are more likely to order/buy a manly sounding Coke Zero (aka Bloke Zero) than the more womany/fussy Diet Coke.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Aren't diet coke and coke zero basically identical? It's mainly a marketing exercise as men are more likely to order/buy a manly sounding Coke Zero (aka Bloke Zero) than the more womany/fussy Diet Coke.

Big difference in taste, which I wouldn't put down to some 'placebo effect' due to the colour of the can.
I'll happily drink Coke Zero, I see diet coke as so tasteless you really are as well just going for fizzy water.
Coke Zero has about half the aspartame of diet coke, but has other ingredients instead.
Here's the difference between the two, showing it's not just the same product with a 'bloke' name.
Coke Zero: Confused Anyone?

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Coke arrives at the factory concentrated (which is worth more than gold) where it is diluted, bottled and then sent to retailers to be sold to the consumers and drank by you, the end. :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Big difference in taste, which I wouldn't put down to some 'placebo effect' due to the colour of the can.
I'll happily drink Coke Zero, I see diet coke as so tasteless you really are as well just going for fizzy water.
Coke Zero has about half the aspartame of diet coke, but has other ingredients instead.
Here's the difference between the two, showing it's not just the same product with a 'bloke' name.
Coke Zero: Confused Anyone?

Will have to do a taste test some time - don't tend to have diet coke in the house as, well, it's for girls :)

Only found one survey - Huffington Post - 54% of people could tell which was which - 50% preferred diet coke, 50% zero.

What's The Difference? Diet Coke vs. Coca-Cola Zero

Koeman2021

Banned
I prefer the taste of diet coke. Regular coke leaves your teeth feeling like sugar cubes and is not thirst quenching in the slightest.

I don't see why people would ingest all that sugar when the sugar free variants suffice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom