How do they do this?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anim, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Look at this video
    http://www.devilducky.com/media/41940/

Just short of half way through maddona walks behind one of the animations then in front of another.

Is this some kind of holographic projector at work? or other clever special effect?

Anim

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,447
    I see what you mean!

Unless it's CGI generated imagery added after the event so to speak, I'm not sure how that was done. It looked like rear projection perhaps up until she walked behind the guitarist, and you could still see her legs behind him so it wasn't a small screen put in place for a front projector to fire onto unless it's a clear material that reflects under certain conditions.

Intriguing and something to think about. :)

Gary

3. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are we assuming or do we know that she was there in person? Hard to tell from the quicktime, but it looks like she could have been part of the 'film' fullstop making it easy to put her behind or in front.

4. mallidiv

mallidiv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well...
    In my opinion Madonna is with the gorillas... not herself...
    this is what it seems to me :)

:clap:

5. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    WITCH CRAFT I TELL YOU,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WITCH CRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

6. Streetrod

Streetrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have seen this effect before, if I am not mistaken the projection is onto a kind of glass screen. Because of the angle of the projection, ie very steep, it is possible to walk behind the image. The screen has the ability to bend the light hitting it like a prism, so allowing for the steep projection angles.
    On the other hand I could be wrong

7. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    They use transparent layers for this effect.

If anyone is from UK go and see the Blue man group and you will see someting similar.

No magic. its intelligent use of media and instruments.:thumbsup:

8. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I agree. Its either a glass screen thingie or madonna was part of the animation and wasn't there in person (on that clip) But the crowd would have known she wasnt there so im guessing it was a some kind of tall clear glass monitor tech.

Clever anyway.

Anim

9. anibap

anibap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Anim,

A bit side tracking but what happened to your review of PJTX200 part 2 and beyond?

The projector arena is getting heated up with cheaper DLP high defs coming and breathing on the LCD neck.

It seems many are now getting interested with Optoma H79 and the new infocus models.

It is interesting to see that out of all LCD HD pjs AE900 looks to be the least talked about followed by Z4.

PJTX200 and Hs60 are ruling the grounds now.

But will they be able to match upto the DLP counterpart when prices are becoming competitative?

I know things like Image shift and other small small things may come handy but nothing comes in way of pure brilliance of picture.

I saw the Mit HC3000 and I felt that AE900 does not come closer to it. Fortunately i am not rainbow prone.

I guess the LCD team will soon come up with HS60 kind of models in good price range as it offers the holy grail of display - superior contrast and black level comparable to the DLP pavillion.

just my opinion...

10. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I did do part 2, its on my site.

Lens shift isn't something small, its so handy and why the dlp's don't use it as standard is beyond me.

But apart from that I agree. DLP does produce a better quality image its just those god damn rainbows.:eek:

When DLP projectors are rainbow less have lens shift, are HD and are the same price as LCD then LCD will die, until then its a viable alternative imo.

11. kevlatimer

kevlatimer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lesson: According to wikipedia, it's a technique called "peppers ghost":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost for those as sad as me :boring:

It's convincing though, even down to the focus. I've stayed at work an extra hour just to find out how it was done!

Kev

12. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I see your age is 27, perhaps they don't do Pepper's Ghost at O level any more, it was big in my day..

13. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    As she's wearing boots on her legs and a radio mic on the back of her corset in the second entrance, both of which are missing from the first entrance, I'd say that she was part of the original animation, and when it was finished she popped up in the flesh, so to speak.

Clever though.

Regards

Mark

14. kevlatimer

kevlatimer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, I did physics at A-level and I'd still not heard of it - or I mightn't have been paying attention on that day :rolleyes:

15. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In the first half, Madonna is part of the animation. Here's the reasons for my conclusions:
    1. Her hair is slightly (but noticeably) different in her live performance - it has more volume on top.
    2. The costume is different - live, she looks almost like she has a corset on the same colour as the outfit.
    3. In the animation, it looks like she walks forward on the stage after she comes off the 'platform' that she rises on but the actually level of her feet never goes any lower than the other animated characters. On the other hand, the first singers that come on at the start of the clip are substantially lower - i.e. on the actual stage.
    4. The shadows cast on the animated guitar players as she passes are too 'perfect' - they're obviously part of the animation too. Again, when the first group of singers walk in front of the animated characters they've got that 'walking in front of a screen' look with no shadows at all.
    5. If it was an illusion you probably couldn't get any kind of shadow falling on the animations - I'd imagine any front projected light strong enough to cast that quality of shadow would destroy the illusion.
    6. Related to point 5, Madonna in the animated sequence is very well lit in comparison to the first group of singers who are not. Madonna is obviously front lit in the anim while the first group look to be lit from the right side and slightly behind.

Comments ? :D

dunamis

16. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  17. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    It's obviously using startrek holosuite technology.

I've got to get me one of those puppys... :)

18. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think Mads is in the animation in the first bit then sings live in the second, her voice changes from being very smooth and pollicshed in the first instance to being... erm ..... less smooth and poliched when she breaks into the full song.

Excellent none the less :thumbsup: :clap: