1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do They Developing Digital Pictures?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Garrett, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    I don’t have a digital camera but I was passing a photo shop the other day and it said we print digital photos.

Do they take the chip out of the camera and develop it some way and print it onto the same sort of paper you get you normal photos off a film or do they uses a computer and printer (inkjet or laser)?

2. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess different shops will do different things. Ask them. But I guess they will use a card reader and upload images to their computer for printing on goodish printers according to your instructions.

But digital cameras allow users to take as many as they wish and to only have the selected few printed off professionally in a shop. The beauty of digital photography is that you do so much yourself.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Jessops will load an image from Compact Flash etc and CD (best if it's a large image from photoshop) onto a pc , they then print it on their wizzo printer that is capable of making a "photo realistic" print - even down to matt paper, if you're into that sort of thing. Had one done about 2 years ago out of interest & the results were very good but I've not bothered since.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    Is it the exact same paper as what they use for normal photos? If they use ink and they got wet I think they inks would run.

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Interesting question, I couldn't be bothered an bought the 'best' home printer an 8 ink HP 7960. The results are absolutely amazing, much better than what we were used to from our mail-order developing factory...And that is printing it directly on the printer without taking it through the computer...

The 7960 is capable of printing directly from nearly every memory card under the sun including memory stick pro.

Man you should see a black and white picture we took printed out on both matt and some of the old style perforated paper...Fantastic

The paper I use varies on what I want to print off. But for the every day 6x4 snaps, the paper seales itself after use. In order to let it do that you have to handle it very carefully. For example don't put the paper straight into the tray but protect it from the plastic with some other paper.

It would be highly unlikely that the shops would use the same paper as for normal photo's as they are actually not exposed to light but printed upon....Than again saying that is just an assumption. Very good question Garret, do they use some digital exposure device that allows them to use normal paper and there automated machines?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    No, it wouldn't need to be. True photo paper has chemical coatings that react to light - the same as film does. Digital prints need only to be able to be either sprayed with ink or wax etc. So basically, it's just regular paper or card, but coated with a smooth, fine surface (glossy or matt) that can receive ink, but is otherwise inert.

7. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am led to believe otherwise. My local Jessops equivalent place tell me that they have a device that takes the digital image and then exposes normal Photographic paper (ie with light). I have had several prints done with them and the back of the prints actually has the Agfa or Kodak watermarks on them. The quality is stunning.

Doing prints at home with good inkjet printers is also great but if you factor in the cost of the paper, cartridges etc it's a lot cheaper to send them out for printing.

I once took a print from a normal phot taken on a 35mm SLR camera. I scanned it and sent the digital image to the place I've mentioned and they printed it out. I had several people look at the original and copy and no-one was able to tell the difference. The back of the print also gave no clues as it was photo paper!

8. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The most common printer used by the photo labs for digital is the Fuji Frontier.

From one site

You can find more info on this printer here

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products.jsp?nav=2&parent=233848

These things do not come cheap and there are other systems on the market, but as you can see, they are not just big inkjet printers.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    So how do the prices of a print compare with that of taking a film into be developed and prints taken off?

10. carl310166

carl310166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,try

http://www.bonusprint.co.uk/index_pix.htm

you can order prints online.
    i dont know about the quality yet,as i just ordered (9am) 3 10*8 glossy photos plus p&p for £4.90

they should be delivered within the week.

carl

11. Bonus

Bonus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I worked in my local Tesco photo lab, and it was the first of it's type in the country, so it was fairly state of the art. Anyway. it was a digital photo system by Kodak.

This system only develops digital photos. Even normal film is scanned digitally into the system and edited and them produced using the usual chemical methods. The quality of the print is dependent upon the resolution, but the results are very, very good. The system allows centering of images and red eye removal without as films are processed digitally. As for developing from digital sources, the customer does this themselves.

There is a little box on the counter which will take all manner of digital media including CD-R, DVD-R and even floppy disks, plus every memory card going. You select the photos and quantity you want, the print size and come back 20 minutes later, and your photos will be processed by the system without any numpty staff mucking about with them :D