1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do Sky check Telephone is connected?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by irvspeed, Jul 21, 2004.

1. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to order multiroom @ £10 per mth. The terms & conditions say I MUST have both boxes connected to the telephone at all times. How do they check? Do they send a signal down periodically to tell the box (or boxes) to dial up sky? The terms say that if I breach any of the conditions I will automatically be charged the full cost of my first subscriptiontwice! I wonder how they can differentiate between the two boxes as my first box will always be connected? Has anyone been charged twice or been contacted by Sky to say they were not connected? I know quite a few people who are not & nothing has happened.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    They can tell if either of the boxes is not connected - I have Sky+ downstairs and a standard box upstairs. The Sky+ was disconnected for a while although the standard one was permanently connected and I got the letter.

I assume that thay try to dial the box and, if they don't get a 'reply' send you the letter. Mine was only unplugged for about 2-3 weeks while we had some work done before I got the letter.

John

3. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers John, what did the letter say?

4. irvspeed

irvspeed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a thought, how could they dial the box without my phone ringing? I think a signal must be sent down to make each box dial sky?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY send commands to individual boxes via the satellite, the box/boxes then attempt to dial out and communicate with the main server which then tells SKY the location of each box.
    If the boxes don't reply or they reply from a different location you are in breach of the mirror/multiroom T&C's and you will be notified and given an opportunity to correct the situation before you are charged full price for the second subscription.

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The letter essentially poined out that I was in breach of the T&C's and had to plug the box back in.

John

7. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    had 3 letters so far

8. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be warned...

After the 3 letters that all say the same thing - "Reconect or risk paying full price" - they dont write to you agian... Youll just get the invoice for the full whack.

This is what Im paying now ;-( because I couldnt be arsed to run a phone line to the room Ive now got the box in. Ive tried arguing with them before that their terms say the box has to be connected to the phone line (yes..) but their terms dont say it has to be powered up.... ;-) ... ie I havent used the box for 2mths and youve revoked my '£10' subscription so sod off and re-instate it.

They do not write to you to threaten you again - they'll just invoice you.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Stuff them - get a Freeview box!!

10. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well my dad had a Sky box for about 2 years and only had it connected to the phone line when it was installed. As soon as the engineer went he took it straight out of the phone socket!

He never heard a thing from Sky!!!

11. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ... we had no phoneline upstairs in the bedroom where we put the 'shadow' box for about 4 months, got 3 letters and then got hit with the charges, after another month (and after getting an extension wired in up there) I rang up and moaned saying "it was plugged in dunno why you couldnt see it" and upon reattempting to get it to dial out (which it then was able to do successfully) they credited the £120 or whatever it was to the bill and didnt pay anything at all for a few months after that

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're talking about second boxes here mate...Sky aren't to bothered single box instals. Just a point as well...if you're phone number is ex directory, you need to programme your second box to dial 1470...that way, your number is released to Sky and they know where it's come from. If your box dosen't dial 1470, you'll get the bill followed by the letter...like I did... :thumbsdow I did get a refund though as I said it wasn't my fault...the engineer should have done it. The woman agreed and refunded the money. Little did she know, I installed it myself, as I did with my Sky+ system 21/2 years ago as well... :devil: Can't wait to get on my course in February and get my CAI...

13. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Yep add my name to the charge list lol .

I got the letters then they just charged me 90 odd quid as i wouldnt connect my second bedroom box .

I paid it then cancelled the miiror sub its a shame as i miss the channels on the second box but had enough of the wires .

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I can't help but think SKY are missing an opportunity to have a true dual tuner/decoder STB. I suspect the phone requirments have put more people off having a second subscription and certainly caused more hassle to genuine subscribers who have no intention of defrauding SKY by selling on the second smartcard.

15. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did see at Macro (wholesaler in UK ) or somewhere similar like maybe DaBS.com catalogue a thing claiming that you could plug in two 'plugs' into your mains socket anywhere in the house and these acted as 'wireless' phone points so you could effectively create a phone socket anywhere in th ehouse wirelessly if you had a power-point. They were £40 ( less htan 1mths subscription!) but I didnt remember to buy them and now I cant find them...anyone else seen or used them succesfuly on the sky monsters?.

I too cannot be arsed to have 3km of wires running up my stairs :blush:

16. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    wow IanC that would be an answer for me as well .

dam wires drove me crazy . I would love to know if that works

/agree totally with Starburst as well . surprised they dont do that .

17. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an "IBM wireless phonesocket" in the loft if of interest for a tenner + post ...

Effectively an old 900mHz analogue cordless except the "handset" bit is just an antennae with an rj11 jack on the side ;)

18. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Have a look at this item at maplin A54AT. I think that this is what you are looking for? I think there maybe similar items on similar sites but have to do more searching

Sinbrad

19. Ianc

Ianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yip that was the dooda. I guess it was 40£ + VAT I saw it for. Maplin are charging 59£. Off to ebay we gooooo ;-)

Says it works with set top boxes so I guess its good. Im gonna get one and see.

20. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    We've got one of those phone extenders, but not had chance to use it with sky yet, paid £25 from Miller Brothers last year, it's a Thomson one.

Tested it on the phone line and voice reception seemed ok though.

21. seasider

seasider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've looked at the Maplin site and the wireless extender looks a great idea. Trouble is my phone line comes from Telewest and they assure me it's digital - the extender only appears to work on analogue lines. Does anyone know of anything that would work with a digital phone line?

22. MPBayless

MPBayless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you have to do is connect your box up via an extension lead, ring sky up and tell them your kids unplugged it.

Can they check its now ok. They then do a dial back in the following hour, after which you can disconnect the line until the next letter arrives and so on.

All they want to make sure is that you haven't giving the box to your mate who then gets sky for £10 a month.

23. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those sure is some long stairs you got there dude...... ;)

24. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yup v long stairs!!! can i come see your house someday....

they have sent us 1 letter but then the boxes randomly started dialling back (they stopped out of the blue for about 1 year) and not another yet. We have the wireless transmitter thing for our regular box and it works a treat. It did stop working for a period (the same time as the other stopped so im assuming sky ****ed up like normal) but now its great again.

Also, yes sky can transmit certain things that can be broadcast into space via satellite (like firmware and stuff) but other things cannot as they may contain personal info. They send the command to a set of boxes to dial back and then any box that gets the signal will see if the phone line is clear and give sky a ring on a free phone number.

25. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had 3 letters from Sky in the past... So I am concerned to hear that they now just start charging.

What I want to know is for how long does your box have to be disconnected before they start charging? I live in North Cornwall and we have had a lot of storms here lately and our telephone lines have been knocked out several times, sometimes for a few days at a time - I would be pretty upset if I got billed for that!

Also the modem in my neighbours digibox was knocked out in a thunder storm (other thatn that it works perfectly well), so as far as Sky can tell the box isn't connected to a phone line - does that mean he has to get a new digibox or pay to have his repaired just so he can plug it into a bloody phoneline? :mad:

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you have been warned in the past then I suppose the next callback failure will trigger the full price payment, they won't bother warning you again, a bit harsh if it is an external issue but there are those people who would say if there hadn't been cause for warnings before hand then you would have got the warning for this external issue.

Of course if you could prove with BT's support that the line was dead when SKY polled the digibox then you are in the clear:)

SKY with the very very rare execption only crack down on mirror/multiroom subscribers, they have little interest in enforcing the normal phoen requirment for a subsidised install. Anyway that is only for 12 months and you are under warranty for that period so if the modem went then call SKY for a repair/replacement.

27. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The first time I didn't even know it had been disconnected and the second time the wire had split.

If you have a mirror/multiroom setup then you have to have both phone lines connected permanently, not just twelve months :(

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes I know.
    My answer was in response to the question about your neighbour and you didn't specify if he had a mirror setup or a single digibox:)

29. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    okay thanks. I probably didn't articulate my thoughts very well there! I was just making a broader point that it would be very unfair of Sky to make people buy new digiboxes simply because the modem was broken (which as I understand it is quite a common problem).