Quantcast

How do modern speakers compare to older speakers ?

wardieuk

Standard Member
So I have to buy a new amp, going to be a Denon 3600H.
The question I have is that I have the original 2005.1 Kef Eggs that were £800 back in 2001.
They sound great but am thinking about getting Dali Spektor 2's and Vokal centre speaker to replace the front 3.
Thing is, how much better will Dali speakers sound against the Eggs which were the first Uni Q tech ?
Have speakers actually come on are we talking slight improvements, or massive improvements. God damn its hard enough trying to understand, impedance, power
and watts and then I think, unless you're REALLY a geek, how many of us really get the best performance out of our amps?
Get your geek on and let me know and does anyone have any really good links to where us novices can really begin to understand in greater detail
how speakers work and what we should be spending so that it's nearly a once in a lifetime investment and the right choice ... phew, I'm out breath. Thanks

Gasp3621

Don`t pick anything without hearing it first! I have witnessed so many times when person was sure he will go buying the WhatHifi 5star speakers praised in review, but after i have pushed him to listen few models before deciding, the person picked totally different speakers in the end. Don`t worry about not being "golden ear" which i hear often, you will hear differences of each brand if you concentrate and use different material when listening. Example your local Richer Sounds should be able to give you a listen of 2-4 different speakers with your choice of receiver (X3600H) if you book the demo room before hand (call). Any hifi shop will do this, just do some research which models you want to hear. They often have the popular ones in stock for demo.

Eggs are lifestyle satellite speakers so you will certainly get upgrade in few ways by moving to regular sized hifi speakers. It was just seen after member upgraded newest Eggs to KEF Q serie speakers. But people have different expectations so no one can say what you feel. I think you should really listen few different models first before deciding.

You are putting lot of money in to receiver which is good, but personally i would consider putting more for the front three, even if that means you will start without center channel (or if you can´t live then use the Egg for the time being)! From Dali the Oberon range should be audibly better than Spektor line, especially the center channel which is going to be important with movies! You didn´t tell us anything of your room or placement for speakers, but assuming you could consider something larger, do yourself a favour and listen example Oberon 1 and Oberon 3 or KEF Q350. Coming from small satellite speakers to something like the Oberon 3/ Q350 can be quite dramatic difference. It might be enough for you to up your budget for speakers! Receivers come and go, but good speakers you tend to keep for long time so you should ideally spend more.

gibbsy

The Eggs will still sound good today given for what they were designed for. Like any lifestyle speakers they have their limitations and it's not so much how much better similar speakers will be but how much better a different style of speaker will sound. I slowly upgraded through two different versions of the Eggs to the old R Series in the shape of the R100s and eventually R300s along with a receiver and stereo amp upgrade. There was a significant improvement in audio enjoyment.

I stuck with KEF as I really did like the signature of the 3005 Eggs and having the R Series has just reinforced that enjoyment of the KEFs. It also helped that the KEFs partnered very well with various Denon receivers. You cannot go on my recommendations or that of others, you have to listen for yourself, especially so if picking other manufacturer's models. The new Q Series would be a good starting point as they will match pretty well if you keep a pair of Eggs on surround duties even in the short term, something again that I did on my upgrade path.

A lot will depend on the room as well and in that respect it would be beneficial to us and to you to post a diagram of the room with dimensions and where the speakers will be positioned.

wardieuk

Standard Member
The Eggs will still sound good today given for what they were designed for. Like any lifestyle speakers they have their limitations and it's not so much how much better similar speakers will be but how much better a different style of speaker will sound. I slowly upgraded through two different versions of the Eggs to the old R Series in the shape of the R100s and eventually R300s along with a receiver and stereo amp upgrade. There was a significant improvement in audio enjoyment.

I stuck with KEF as I really did like the signature of the 3005 Eggs and having the R Series has just reinforced that enjoyment of the KEFs. It also helped that the KEFs partnered very well with various Denon receivers. You cannot go on my recommendations or that of others, you have to listen for yourself, especially so if picking other manufacturer's models. The new Q Series would be a good starting point as they will match pretty well if you keep a pair of Eggs on surround duties even in the short term, something again that I did on my upgrade path.

A lot will depend on the room as well and in that respect it would be beneficial to us and to you to post a diagram of the room with dimensions and where the speakers will be positioned.
I pretty much have a typical 3 1/2 meter back to front and 4 1/2 meter wide lounge.
We sit on the back wall and the tv is mounted on a blocked off fireplace central of the room.
tv in the middle, 3 eggs split above the tv. Its not like a tv in the corner of the room.
Thanks for the advice. I was considering the Q150's so I will listen to all. I will keep my 2 eggs on surround for now. Whats more important, left and right or Centre or equally as important ?
just for reference, upgrading to LGc9 too. In for a penny ......

Attachments

gibbsy

The front three are the most important in any surround sound set up. They should all be from the same manufacturer and model range. For the KEF Q that would be Q150 for left and right with a Q250C as the centre speaker.