1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nic Rhodes, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    tell a windows 98 PC that I am using a 16:9 monitor? I have tried all sorts of things but they all seem to fail:(

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Beekeeper,

You need to download the driver for a SONY GDM-W900 monitor - the link to get the relevant driver is here :

http://www.sony-cp.com/drivers/archive/other.zip

Load up the driver, and select it in Control Panel,System,Device Manager, iirc.

Good luck,

Sean G.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think that if you uncheck the show compatible hardware in update display driver it will just allow you to pick the Sony from a list of drivers on the windows disk, certainly can on W2K or XP

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nic,

Is this a resolution question or DVD software aspect ratio question?

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's like trying to teach a caveman quantum physics.......................

Seriously, as Jeff asked, what is it that 98 does not do?

If it is not allowing to show correct aspect ratio, this can be altered by unlocking aspect control. If it is a monitor issue, i.e. photo etc are squeezed? John's driver should resolve, as this is what we did, mind you will check that photo's are not distorted.

Rgds

Nathan

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks for all the help guys. I had thought of the Sony driver but hadn't tried it yet (still fancy one ;) . The display is a 16:9 display but will be used for both PC (vertical and horizontal) and for de-interlacing 'evaluation' both through the HD connector and the built in component inputs. Resolution is 1280 x 768 which is sort of DVD friendly. It is not quite your usual application but when did I do anything ordinary. :rolleyes:

I think the biggest issue is I cannot unlock the aspect ratio so far, even with powerstrip giving 1280 x 768, it is still sees XGA

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    "I think the biggest issue is I cannot unlock the aspect ratio so far, even with powerstrip giving 1280 x 768, it is still sees XGA"

That'll be the monitor driver restricting it, just try the Sony one.

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nic,

I'm still not sure what it is you say isn't working.

I think you are saying that when you use a resolution such as 1280x768 the display device is still stuck at 1024x768. It is quite normal for some 16:9 projectors to only work with 4:3 resolutions when using the PC input. Changeing the monitor driver is unlikely to help since all it does is define the resolutions and refresh rates that work with the display. The issue is that you can't force a display to use a resolution it doesn't like. Sometimes it is possible to fool the projector to accepting a 16:9 resolution by using a powerstrip created custom resolution with a weird refresh and blanking settings. This is very much trial and error unless someone else has already figured it out for you.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Right thanks all I am sorted. The Sony driver did the trick. The panel is now showing true 16:9 and looks pretty decent.

Jeff

I thought I should be able to drive this panel directly by forcing to natural resolution and it has worked at about first go with the Sony display driver. Guess I am having a lucky day;) I think the issue was the computer was convinced that the monitor was 4:3 and the monitor had different ideas!