• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How Do I .............

Grouper

Standard Member
Hey guys!
Long time reader, First time poster! haha
Great site everyone!

Today Ive decided to seek some advice of the pro's!
I was wondering how I would go abouts in doing this:

I have a 6.1 surround sound system.
Pushed By a Yamaha RX-V850 AV-Reciever
My front L/R channel speakers are Tannoy Mk2's

I have a yamaha b-2 Power Amp. Its been sitting around for years.
when I watch bluray disks, I want to obviously listen to it in 6.1 surround, Via my RX-V850.
But when I listen to music, I want to use only the Yamaha's B2 Amp, And Only the Tannoys.

How would I go about wireing this up?
Thanks for any input or advice everyone!!
Alan

Gaspode_TWD

Does the AV-Reciever have pre outs? If so I'd suggest connecting the power amp from them. It would mean you'd always be using all the amps but it would be straight forward and should give as good a sound as you're going to get.

Grouper

Standard Member
Does the AV-Reciever have pre outs? If so I'd suggest connecting the power amp from them. It would mean you'd always be using all the amps but it would be straight forward and should give as good a sound as you're going to get.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the rc receiver does have pre outs.

So I would run a set of speaker wires from the B-2, to the tannoys, then another set of wires from the rx-v850 to the same posts on the tannoys? Making sure to have one amp, or the other on, at any given time?
Would that work?

Gaspode_TWD

No, not 2 sets of wires. You'd need the receiver on to provide a signal to the power amp so you can't turn that off and play anything. Just wire up the Power amp to the Tannoys. If you don't find you get a good enough improvement when listening to both films and music take it back out of circuit and have a rethink.

Try it and let us know.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom