How do I wire up satellite to a screened socket?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by nunew33, Jul 30, 2002.

1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have purchased a 2 socket wall plate. It is a maxview satellite/UHF socket.

Inside is a clamp that covers both sockets and a metal loop for what I presume is for an earth wire.

I have put a metal wall socket base into the wall.

I already have the UHF TV coaxial wired up and this works ok.

Before I snip the satellite cable(!) do I simply clamp in the satellite, does it matter that the outer wire mesh on the coaxials are effectively joined? Each socket has an insulated clamp for the inner wire.

Thanks in advance of any advice

Do I need to wire the earthing loop to anything?

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Doesn't sound right to me. If you have purchased the correct socket, it should have an 'F' connector and co-ax socket on the front. Round the back there should be 2x seperate clamps for each cable. The sat downlead is wired into the back of the socket in the same fashion as your normal tv co-ax.

I know this installation is a lot neater than just having cable comming straight through the wall, but you are likely to loose some signal this way. You could consider using a double ariel socket faceplate with only one actual socket (for the tv), then have the sat cable simply fed through the, now free hole, leaving your cable completely intact.

Make sure your certain before you go and cut the cable - there's no going back!

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Definately ftype and normal on front, definately separate insulated clamps for inner wire, definately single outer clamp for clamping outer wire mesh of coaxials!

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im curious about the losing signal issue. Its a 75%+ signal so its strong. But the signal is digital with error correction data embedded. If this is the case surely any signal loss from the plate will be of a small magnitude and should be minimised by the fact that there is a strong signal and that error correction data will ensure that the digital data still represents what is intended when it gets decoded. Im not reducing the topic to "how can it lose quality because its bits and bytes", as I know that poor quality links will lose data and thats where the quality of the image goes, but surely thats the urpse of error correction data to check and replace duff data.

The spec of the plate is:

Fully screened for UK digital
    TV/radio/satellite/cable and analogue
    installations
    · Satellite or cable and TV or DAB or FM aerial
    cable into convenient fixed position in room
    · Twin saddle and clamp style input to single
    'F' type and single co-axial socket output
    · Designed to fit all depths of UK pattress
    boxes
    · Size of outlet plate - 84mm square
    TV IN/TV OUT
    Frequency range: 5-1000MHz
    Insertion loss: <0.5dB
    Return loss: > 14dB (75 ohms)
    +12Vdc power pass: 500mA max
    Input connector: 1 x Saddle and clamp via
    hinged screened cover(cable
    size up to CT100 can be
    accommodated)
    Output connector: 1 x UK Belling Lee female
    socket
    Screening factor: To EN50083-2: 1998 Class
    B(>75dB 30-470MHz, >65dB
    470-1000MHz)
    Safety: Earth bonding terminal provided for 4mm sq min cable size
    Isolation: >90dB from 5-1000MHz
    between outputs
    SAT IN/SAT OUT
    Frequency range: 5-2300MHz
    Insertion loss: <1.0dB
    Return loss: > 10dB (75 ohms)
    +12Vdc power pass: 500mA max
    Input connector: 1 x Saddle and clamp via
    hinged screened cover(cable
    size up to CT100 can be
    accommodated)
    Output connector: 1 x Type 'F' female socket
    Screening factor: To EN50083-2: 1998 Class
    B(>75dB 30-470MHz, >65dB
    470-1000MHz, >55dB 1-3GHz
    Safety: Earth bonding terminal
    provided for 4mm sq min
    cable size
    Isolation: >80dB from 950-2300MHz
    between outputs

Attached Files:

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm not clued up enough to comment on any/how much loss of signal. I'm simply repeating what a Sat installer told me. When you think about it, any cable - audio, video, speaker, should have as few connections/terminations as possible for the best possible signal.

With you getting a strong signal in the first place, it probbably won't make much difference under normal viewing. But with bad weather, you make get small breakup that you may not have got with the original lead.

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That sounds like a socket for a distribution system like the one in my flat, one cable carries normal TV, sat TV and FM radio.

One cable goes in the back and there are three connections on the front.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its definately not a distribution system or splitter. Its definately 2 cables in and 2 cables out.

Im basically looking for confirmation that in a coaxial cable (both satellite and analogue) that the inner cable is the signal carrier and the outer woven sheath is the earthing wire that provides shielding from interfering signals.

Im also looking for someone to confirm that there wont be any issue with both earthing cables being connected by the clamp and effectively wired up together.

And finally Im looking for someone to tell me how important it is to connect the earthing loop to something and if it has to be connected to what? Will the metal socket case do or do I have to find the nearest central heating pipe and earth it to that (which is what the electrics are earthed to which then means that any earthing of the house circuit could feed into the cables or would the dissipation through the central heating negate that or would teh current simply flow out the house and into the water system.

Why oh why didnt they teach you proper wiring at school and what happens to electricity in the real world, rather than spending 2 years connecting batteries to light bulbs and burning elastic bands on bunsen burners! All I want to do is safely wire a satellite cable into a socket, it cant be rocket science. By the way there were no wiring instructions with the plate! Its assumed all this is obvious!

8. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Answer to question one?

[​IMG]

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right that confirms number 1.

Thinking about it further, if the shield does need to be earthed then as long as I have the sockets wired up to the VCR or the satellite, the any charge requiring earthing in the shield will effectively have either cable to follow to earth via the satellite decoder or the VCR where it should be earthed in a 3 pin plug. So it only needs to be earthed if there is no wire in either socket, which cant be a big deal as you wouldnt earth a through the wall wire if you disconnected it. Am I right?