How do I wipe/clean harddrive before clean install of w7?

gingerpete

Novice Member
Hi, I'm new to these forums so go easy on me!

I have a few pc related problems, I've recently had the persistent blue screen of death when opening certain programs. I have exhausted everything the internet has told me but still no joy so I'm resorting to a clean install of windows 7. What I need to do to completely wipe my internal hd before a clean install? Just to basically insure that anything that might be causing the problem (virus etc) doesn't carry over to my clean install.

Also I have had an annoying problem where when my desktop pc is hardwired to the router nothing else (laptop, ps4 etc) can connect to the Internet whether it's hardwired or wireless. I'm assuming I need to change some router settings but I'm a tragic beginner when it comes to routers and networking. When the pc is connected via wireless, everything works fine but the wireless adapter is crap and looses connection all the time.

I would really appreciate any advice on these issues, thanks

Pete

sparky10

Hi, whilst a clean installation of an operating system is good to do from time to time (fresh start/spring/clean!), speed things up etc, it is not always the answer. I may do it every couple of years or if I consider that something is wrong and I want a fresh start then I will do this. There is one method below for carrying this out for you to look at, although as others will probably let you know there are other ways.
How To Clean Install Windows 7 (Part 1 of 3)

I noticed that you mention some concerns regarding a possible virus/malware. Before you carry out a clean install you could always give your system a scan to check for this using Malwarebytes, this program is a free download and will remove most issues if you have any. I would do this first and see if your system responds.
Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

gingerpete

Novice Member
Hi, whilst a clean installation of an operating system is good to do from time to time (fresh start/spring/clean!), speed things up etc, it is not always the answer. I may do it every couple of years or if I consider that something is wrong and I want a fresh start then I will do this. There is one method below for carrying this out for you to look at, although as others will probably let you know there are other ways.
How To Clean Install Windows 7 (Part 1 of 3)

I noticed that you mention some concerns regarding a possible virus/malware. Before you carry out a clean install you could always give your system a scan to check for this using Malwarebytes, this program is a free download and will remove most issues if you have any. I would do this first and see if your system responds.
Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

I have actually used malwarebytes but on completion of the scan I removed the item (there was only one) and clicked reboot. Then I got blue screen again.

sparky10

Hi, okay in that case if you wish to proceed, make sure you back up any files you wish to keep and do a clean install. As an afterthought, there is a Windows repair tool that was recommended by another senior forum member that appears to correct errors, could try this first.

Windows Repair (All In One)

Last edited:

MarkE19

That is a very comprehensive set of tools and does a good job - well it saved my bacon in the past :D

However I would advise a clean install if you have the time & patience to do it. A full install of Windows from the install disc will format the HDD, so everything will be renoved and you will get a 100% clean install. However as advised you must make sure that all files you do want to keep are backed up before you start or they will all be lost.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom