How do I wipe a used PC without losing genuine OS?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mecej2007, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mecej2007

mecej2007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I bought a new computer just the other day. As the title suggests, I would like to wipe clear all the existing user data, however, I would not like to lose the genuine windows 7 that it has installed on there. Is there anyway around this?

I have a zoostorm e6500, I believe it was purchased from ebuyer.

Any help would be much appreciated,

thanks

2. m0t0k0

m0t0k0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The PC should have the Windows Key on a sticker on it somewhere, that will detail exactly which version of Windows you have (be it Hope Premium x32 or x64 bit ect)

Then all you need to do is find an iso for the correct version burn it and install on the PC using the old key.

Alternatively you may find the PC came with a recovery disk which will do a fresh install for you

3. mecej2007

mecej2007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've got the key, thats no probs. It's windows 32bit ULTIMATE aswell.

Do you know where I can obtain the official ISO?

I wouldve got from manufacturers, but they told me, they do not supply their units with win 7 "ultimate", so it must've been user installed.

Whatever the case, I really don't want to lose win 7 ultimate, as I really like it! Is there anyway I can wipe the comp, yet keep it, so everything's fast and clean.

Thanks

4. m0t0k0

m0t0k0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Ok you can get an official ISO from MSDN but you will need to find someone with a subscription (its very expensive so not easy)

The other option would be to find a ISO from either a torrent site or usenet (not the best solution but unless you borrow a copy off a forum member I don't think you have many options)

5. mecej2007

mecej2007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm the expensive option doesn't appeal right now..I'm all spent out lol

I would torrent it, but its a little untrustworthy that way, I might get a dodgy OS or something.

Is there anyway I could do a system restore? Or backup the current OS is running? Its great and I dont want to lose it. Plus its 100% genuine

6. m0t0k0

m0t0k0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You could restore to the earliest restore point but there is no knowing how early that would be.

I don't suggest you buy a subscription (I'm sure its upwards of £400) But maybe start a thread saying you need the ISO so someone with an account can link to one for you

You will not lose the genuine Windows 7 that is tied to the key on the side of the case.

Essentially your only real option to start fresh with a clean OS is to get the ISO and install from scratch.
    Yes torrents and the such are not 100% safe but I'm running a copy of WHS 2011 and W7 home premium from usenet with no problems!

Last option take it to a PC repair shop who could reinstall for you and then take a wad of cash out of your wallet!

7. Nikumba

Nikumba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Link removed by mod
    You can download the ISO from there, these are legit MS ISO files

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012