• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How Do I Watch Hd Trailers On My Hd Lcd Tv Via My Pc

S

-ScarFace-

OK i have a hd lcd but havent yet seen any hd stuff on it, got ntl digital and hdmi dvd upscaler dvd player.

Also got my laptop hooked to the tv via vga to vga cable, i've downloaded a few hd trailers on my laptop and watched them on the tv via the vga cable from my laptop, but it just looked like a normal trailer, nothing special....am i actually able to watch hd stuff via vga to vga cable ?

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
Yes you are able to view HD over VGA.

You should be able to tell the difference quite easily, but it is obviously made more difficult if the screen is rather small or you are viewing it from a large distance.

Also make sure you've set the resolution correctly, for example to 1366x768 or 1280x720.

S

-ScarFace-

Hmm

the HD trailers are from www.mac.com

the HDREADY tv is 37inches and my dell laptop screen is 15inches.

The settings of the tv when i select view pc is 1280x1024 H:64kHz V:60Hz

Same settings on the laptop screen, thats the largest i can make it when vga is plugged in, when vga isnt plugged into the laptop the screen res on the laptop can be set higher to 1680 x 1050

Why cant i have that res when vga is plugged in, when its plugged in n the smaller res comes on, it just stretches the screen.

Also i dunno if this effects anything but when im viewing my pc on the lcd tv, the laptop screen still works and is on, so you basicly have two screens, i just close the laptop abit but not fully else it'l go on standby

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
Is it these ones you are trying?

You should also try and get a widescreen resolution to work, i.e. 1280x720, 1366x768

Is it a windows based Laptop or a Mac, if it's a Mac I can't advise on how to do this as I'm not familiar with them.

S

-ScarFace-

Hi, its the mac HD trailers yes, 100% the HD ones.

My dell laptop is windows based

ive changed the res and the screen looks abit better yeah, currently downloading some hd trailers, will tell you if i notice the difference

chrisc0le

Established Member
I dont know what the resolution of your tv is but i'm guessing 1366 x 768 so you wont get any higher resolution than that.

S

-ScarFace-

chrisc0le said:
I dont know what the resolution of your tv is but i'm guessing 1366 x 768 so you wont get any higher resolution than that.

yeah thats the res of the tv, so what does that mean?

i've just viewed the spiderman 3 trailer at the different res and yeah its very clear and a very good picture, but not ball achingly good.....i havent actually EVER seen ANY HD stuff anywhere so maybe this is propper hd what im viewing and i was expecting too much ?

excellent picture and very clear but not that much difference from dvd quality

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
Try some from:
DivX HD
WMV HD

Super Speedway on WMV HD looks pretty good - much better than anything DVD could muster.

To change res:
Right Click on desktop
Left click properties
Click settings tab
Move slider to 1366x768 (preferably) or 1280x720

S

-ScarFace-

hi, thats the thing, 1280x1024 is the highest res i can slid up to on the settings on the laptop when vga is plugged in, otherwise when its just the laptop, i can put the res much higher

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
1280x720 is lower though!

You can install Powerstrip, which will let you add more resolutions.
Try a resolution of 1366x768 with it!

S

-ScarFace-

rEVILospud said:
1280x720 is lower though!

You can install Powerstrip, which will let you add more resolutions.
Try a resolution of 1366x768 with it!

Right cheers, will download that and the bike trailer thing now

rEVILospud

Prominent Member
Any luck?

S

-ScarFace-

hi, i downloaded that res program, i cant change the res to the one stated by you but ive decided that what i am viewing is hd, its extream clear, as good a picture quality as ive ever seen, just not as mind blowing as i was expecting, i guess the quailty will be even better once i get sky hd n a ps3

W

wilbo123

Im pretty new to this and as yet have not got my LCD yet, damn dixons !

But

From what I have read quite a few TV's will not display there native resolution via the pc "D Sub" connection on the TV, quite a few seem to have a max display of 1024x768, how ever I think you can the full resolution via an HDMI connection 1366,768, sure there will be some techy reason for this but I dont know what it is.

As I said I'm a noob so this could be wrong !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom