1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I use send visual through my AV Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nixon, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It says it all in the question except that I want to send my computer (S-Video) and my playstation throught it (Optical).

Any help? Thanks.

2. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nixon,

What av amp are you using? What kind of video connections does it have?
    Thought that PS-2 had only optical AUDIO out (not video), is this what you mean?

Also bear in mind that routing video signals thru an AV amp adds another layer of processing and can actually worsen the quality of the picture (unless it's a high end model with video up-sampling).

3. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maranzt SR4300. The main problem is that the picture quality is bad when its connected through its normal video socket (straight into the tv) and when the amp is turned on. So I was wondering if I could improve it. Also there are two loose phono plugs and I would like to just use one cable. Does this help?

Better explanation:

Amp + Playstation + TV = bad quality

Playstation + TV = Better quality

---

The main reason I ask is because I use the PS2 for DVD's (soon to get a dvd player).

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    In pricipal there should not be a noticable degredation in picture quality using you AMP in the middle to switch the signals. Especially on a 28 inch television, i.o.w. the picture is not that large.
    If it becomes notably worse I would more suspect the extra cable that is being used.

Are you comparing like for like? In other words, are you using RGB output from the playstation into the RGB input of the tv. And are you using composite output from the playstation via the AMP?

5. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% i'm using the supplied video cable that goes into a scart plug with special sockets and i'm using an optical cable plugged into the amp for sound.

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Yep that explains a bit. I bet the scart plug with special sockets have yellow/white/red sockets don't they?
    The good news is that you can't get a worse picture ;-)

To get the best connection get an ps2 RGB Scart cable (if your telly has got an RGB scart compatible input). Connect the cable directly to the television and keep the optical cable direct to your amp. This way you should have the best possible connection available.

7. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That explains a lot!!!

Like dejongj says, if you get a better quality connection lead you should notice a difference. Having said that I do remember hearing that the PS-2 won't output a RGB signal when playing DVD movies,(I may be mistaken) and that you'll get a green tinted picture,(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Also you say the picture is worse when the amp is turned on,
    this could be due to electrical interferance if the PS-2, amp and TV are close together,or if the power leads and video/audio leads are bundled together. Try seperating the power and a/v leads and see if it makes a difference, if not then try moving the individual peices of equipment as far apart from each other as poss and try that.