How do I unpartition the Samsung NC10?

E

ennui

Hi,

I just got the Samsung NC10. It's okay, but nothing to rave about. One thing I've noticed is that it's pretty slow.

I've noticed that the hard-drive is partitioned into two drives. How do I change this? I don't want half of my hard-drive unusable. When I started it up it said something about making a backup; but I didn't know it would be half of the total memory.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I just got the Samsung NC10. It's okay, but nothing to rave about. One thing I've noticed is that it's pretty slow.

I've noticed that the hard-drive is partitioned into two drives. How do I change this? I don't want half of my hard-drive unusable. When I started it up it said something about making a backup; but I didn't know it would be half of the total memory.

Any ideas?

First thing i did with mine was install Vista.

I removed all the partitons in the installation process. :thumbsup:

Get a hold of Partion Magic or such like. Don't know the cost but may be able to get a free trial.

Hi,

Any ideas?

Upgrade the RAM to 2GIG, and don't put Vista on. If you think its slow now, you will think Vista has killed it.

When you first turned it on you should of really only allocated 25GIG (the minimum it will let you) not 70+ auto option . Like mentioned now time for a partitioning tool of your choice.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-mini-pcs/914599-setup-tips-samsung-nc-10-a.html

With 2GB in, it runs no slower at all with Vista on.

Last edited:
I have only recently acquired my NC10 and from what I have seen so far I am quite pleased. I also wish to unpartition drive. I note that you installed Vista which I have been advised against as it is supposed to slow up the machine. (other messages in this thread say it is no slower). Anyway, I assume that installing Vista completely reformatted the hard drive and did away with all items that were there originally - can you confirm ?. I have other things I want to do with the NC10 and I would be grateful if you or someone else could help.
By the way I also have a Desktop which came with Vista Home Basic and I upgraded to Ultimate. Could I install my copy of Home Basic that came with my Desktop on the NC10 ? (With regard to the supposed slowness I would only install elements that I require - which is basically just the Operating System). I am totally ignorant about the legalities concerning software etc., but I heard that one is able to install it on a Desktop and a 'portable machine' without extra cost or having to obtain further licences etc.
I am a self-employed accountant working from home and the NC10 would be ideal to take with me when I go to see clients, so I would also like to put on my taxation software (taxcalc) and the Word and Excel elements only of Microsoft Office 2007.
I will be upgrading the memory to 2GB and I would be grateful if anyone could recomend an external CD/DVD Drive. Hoping that this is not too long. :)
Mike Stadius

Don't install Vista. I have 2GB & Vista as too cumbersome an OS for the Netbook. Windows 7 RC is fine though, even workable with 1GB.

I'm personally still happy using XP SP3 but have used my N110 (NC10 update) with all three.

Hi,

I just got the Samsung NC10. It's okay, but nothing to rave about.

You do realise that up until the introduction of Netbooks that a small highly portable PC with decent battery life would have cost over £1,200.

I've had/used Toshiba Librettos & VAIO TR/TX/TT series over the years and for £300-£320 the NC10 / N110 are amazing devises :eek:

Even today the Vaio TT with C2D is over £1,500 and still no good for gaming (and flimsy IMO). I'm getting 7hrs+ for business/internet use from my N110 and it even handles 720p HD media playback.

Don't understand why everyone wants to abandon XP. Since SP3 it runs fast & stable but must admit Windows 7 is also good on the Netbook.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom