How do I uninstall windows xp?

al shookup

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an old hp laptop with an 80gb hard drive and xp op system.I tried to upgrade from xp to windows 7 using a disc but have ended up with both operating systems installed I assume as the hard drive is showing as having 55gb in use. Is there a simple way to remove the xp element from the system please?
As is pretty obvious, I know very little about such matters and if you have any advice, please spell it out in simple English so I can understand the procedure needed.

thanks for any help.

20GB used sounds about right for Windows 7 alone but the XP install can be rather small so it's hard to tell if it's hiding within the margin of error.

Generally if Windows XP is still actively available then you'd have an option to select operating system when you start up and your drive would be split into two partitions (so you'd have C:\ and D:\ drives showing in Computer). If your 80GB disc is showing up as a single drive then you've only got Windows 7 on the machine, although there may be a back up of the WIndows XP folder(s) somewhere.

Should I remove everything from my laptop and start again with windows 7 disc?

If so, how can I do it .. simple English please?

thanks

start install from win 7 disk again, read the screens and the one where it asks where to install win7 has a few buttons that will enable you to delete the existing partition, do that for clean install.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom