How do I uninstall Windows XP????

L

lcarter

I want to uninstall Windows XP and then format the hard disk drive, after that I then want to reinsgtall XP
Can anyone help to tell me how to uninstall

Thanks
:hiya:

If you are reformatting the drive why do you need to uninstall?

You can format from a floppy boot disk, or even use fdisk to remove and reset the partitions to let the install procedure handle the formatting.

Are you getting the message that an Operating System is already present and that's stopping you?

The windows XP cd is bootable. Set you bois to boot off the cd and then restart you computer. The cd boots into the setup program which lets you format the disk and install XP.

galthop
another question when I start the computer what key is it that I use to get into bios setup?

Was the last problem down to a virus then?

Anyway, you don't need a boot disk for XP. Just go into your BIOS, change the boot order (so it boots from your CD drive), insert the Windows CD, restart the computer and follow these instructions:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Make sure you have all the lastest drivers and updates on a CD before you do this...

Originally posted by lcarter
galthop
another question when I start the computer what key is it that I use to get into bios setup?

It depends. Try F1, F2 or Del. If they don't work have a look at your motherboard's manual to see what key you need to press.

insertname

Thanks I managed to do it pressing del,
when it boots up it comes into a blue screen windows set-up and there are 3 options, 1st is run windows xp, 2nd is repair and 3rd is exit.
Which one is it I need in order to format the hard disk.
Yes and you are right I had a trojan on the computer and it has really messed the computer up

Any more help will be helpful

The first option (by pressing ENTER).

Its all outlined in the tutorial anyway (see above link).

got there in the end - everything going ok at moment - might have to come back if I have anymore problems - thank you to everyone who has helped so far

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom