• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I tell if I have been given a refurb

1975jas

Standard Member
Hi all

I have read a lot on this forum about Sky sending refurbs out.

I recently took up the self install, free HD upgrade offer.

The package it came in was not one of the colourful ones which are mentioned on the site, nor was it in a grey box that people say are the packaging they send the graded HD boxes in.

The package is white with a black logo/writing - I have been sent a Samsung, which says on the box 250GB of personal recording (185 hours of sd and 60 hours of hd - so it states)

The serial number sticker has a date of April 2010 on it.

Should I be worried or does this sound like a new/non refurb HD box?

Thanks
Jason

1975jas

Standard Member
yes - assuming you mean about it breaking down, it is not that, people seem to say the refurb ones produce less quality pictures and get a smaller hard drive than you are entitled to AND they areprone to break down soon after receiving.

I would not want to be without the box on and off whilst they fix it

ian-d

Hi all

I have read a lot on this forum about Sky sending refurbs out.

I recently took up the self install, free HD upgrade offer.

The package it came in was not one of the colourful ones which are mentioned on the site, nor was it in a grey box that people say are the packaging they send the graded HD boxes in.

The package is white with a black logo/writing - I have been sent a Samsung, which says on the box 250GB of personal recording (185 hours of sd and 60 hours of hd - so it states)

Should I be worried or does this sound like a new/non refurb HD box?

Thanks
Jason

Brand new Sky+HD's come in white boxes with black writing (Amstrad drx890 and Samsung hdsky) and white boxes with blue writing for the Amstrad drx895.

The colourful boxes haven't been used since the days of the previous PVR3/PVR4 versions.

Refurbs generally come in brown boxes, not grey.

Sounds like you have brand new and the latest model too.

Broadz

Distinguished Member

So it's six weeks old? Not sure how it could have been delivered to Sky, installed in one person's home, they then notice a fault with it and get it replaced by Sky, who refurb it then deliver it to you, all within six weeks.

If it said April 2009 I'd still consider it probably brand new. But April 2010? I've got crisps in the pantry older than April 2010. I don't think they're a refurb...

vinnyboy33

Standard Member
Hi guys new to this forum.I have just got my HD box too.It came in a white box with black writing on.The ticket reciept it says samsung HD PVR 5.Is this a good box i will not be fitting it till monday thanks for any help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom