• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I tax my car during Covid?

password1

Distinguished Member
I normally go to the post office and pay by cash.

Ive looked on the government website and it seems I can't pay using a card over the phone.

So how do I pay without going to the post office?

If there is an online facility, how do I know the website is legit?

Many thanks in advance.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Did this yesterday, took a couple minutes and paid by visa debit. Assume you have your V11 form?

password1

Distinguished Member
Ive recieved the letter through the post to tax. i haven't opened it yet. last time i received it i had the option to.pay 6 or 12 months. is that the v11?

how do i know the payment has been securely sent and my car is taxed? (i normally ask for ba receipt at the post office)

rousetafarian

Ive recieved the letter through the post to tax. i haven't opened it yet. last time i received it i had the option to.pay 6 or 12 months. is that the v11?

how do i know the payment has been securely sent and my car is taxed? (i normally ask for ba receipt at the post office)
Read post 2 all will become clear

mjn

Distinguished Member

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Is this a wind up?

password1

Distinguished Member
ive been told i have to wait a few days.. then use gloves

its not a wind up.. i get shouted at if i open it so soon using bare hands..

you dont understand

mjn

Distinguished Member
Time to move with the times or have a friend / relative to sort it out for you.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
i dont do online banking.. i normally go to the bank or wait for the next statement through the post..

You don’t need to do online banking to pay your road tax online.

When you open the letter, you go to the dvla website enter the number from the letter. That will then ask you how you want to pay. Either 6 or 12 months by card or alternatively monthly, six monthly or annually by direct debit. Choice is up to you. You can now use a personal credit card if you want as well as debit card to pay.

Once you pay you then get confirmation which you can print or save as a pdf.

Then you can also go on to the dvla website and check to see if any vehicle is taxed and moted as a double check.

Takes 5 minutes and if you are isolating because of COVID removes any risk of going down the post office,

Last edited:

aVdub

Banned
ive been told i have to wait a few days.. then use gloves

its not a wind up.. i get shouted at if i open it so soon using bare hands..

you dont understand

Why does that happen?

If you need help there are many out there that can offer advice and do so confidentiality.
If you ask there are plenty here that can point you in the right direction via private message :)

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I think the only human contact that DVLA mail encounters on its way to the recipient, is the deliveryperson. Printing, enveloping, sorting all carried out by machine; mail bags separating post items from sorting office staff and van drivers.
Granted there may be a minute chance of contamination from other items of mail going through the same machinery but I doubt there would be enough viable virus transferred to clean mail to pose a risk.

password1

Distinguished Member
You don’t need to do online banking to pay your road tax online.

When you open the letter, you go to the dvla website enter the number from the letter. That will then ask you how you want to pay. Either 6 or 12 months by card or alternatively monthly, six monthly or annually by direct debit. Choice is up to you. You can now use a personal credit card if you want as well as debit card to pay.

Once you pay you then get confirmation which you can print or save as a pdf.

Then you can also go on to the dvla website and check to see if any vehicle is taxed and moted as a double check.

Takes 5 minutes and if you are isolating because of COVID removes any risk of going down the post office,
Ive heard horror stories on tv programmes (?Fake Britain and Watchdog type programmes) where people are duped thinking they are paying but get directed to a clone website that looks official. That's what Im worried about.. but thanks for this guidance.

I have never paid for anything online using my card details (ive only paid using paypal) so im not sure what to look out for to tell if the tax.website is legit and 100% secure.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The letter you get will have www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax as the address to go to. Type into your browser window and you get this

1602229695433.png

When you click on the green start now button it will take you to

1602229756754.png

The address bar has changed slightly but still the start of it ends in .gov.uk

The little padlock in the bar with the grey indicates the site has a secure certificate. This generally does not guarantee who it is but will have more information when you click on it and view the certificate. In this case the certificate is issued to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

The normal way of getting people to a fake website is via spam email or texts or paying for advert that has a similar address URL to a legitmate website. However in the case of the latter search engines and website owners are proactive in removing those. Hence always enter what is in the letter to you.

The next thing that proves it legit is that on entering the next screen

1602230766240.png

when you enter you 16 digit number that is in green on your letter and click continue it will come back with your car details. Only you and DVLA know this number and so if you were on a fake website then it would not have access to it and would not know what car you have and the actual amount then to charge.

Unfortunately as I already did mine last month I can't continue beyond that screen to show you what that would look like. From memory though it confirms the car details and amount, you choose you option and then complete the application. As it is the GOV.UK site you won't be redirected off to a clone site who steal your details. (Full disclosure: if your computer was compromised by a virus or the main Gov website was hacked then this might not apply, however that is the equivalent of getting mugged on the way to the post office)

When you do get to the payment screen options it will ask you for card details. At this point it will validate your card payment and you may even see you bank logo pop up. It could ask for more details as you have not used your card online for payments but cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Just checking online the start page states you cannot do Direct Debit over the phone it does not say you cannot do card payments. So it would be worth ringing them up to double-check if that is easier for you.

password1

Distinguished Member
Do I need an MOT certificate (or provide any details from it) to pay via gov.uk?

I took my MOT certificate to the post office last year but they didn't need to look at it?

password1

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much for your time in providing the comprehensive steps.

Ah, direct debit is not the same as taking debit card? ..ill give them a ring and check..

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom