how do i strip QED cable for bare ends?? total noob!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by angelgrant, Jan 17, 2008.

1. angelgrant

angelgrant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    guys i've just ordered 30 meters of QED cable unterminated now i wish i did pay the extra....now i have cable cuters and a stanly knife....how do i go about stripping the wire so i have a bit of bare wire to go into the speakers and av reciever...

sorry i know i sound like a total noob but its my first setup

thanks in advance for all your advice..:thumbsup:

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I don't what type of wire cutters you have but I would recommend getting a cheap crimping tool that has a built in wire stripper and cutter rom the likes of maplins, ebay or screwfix. Maplins do one with a kit, containing a load of connectors, which might come in handy in the future. If not, they do one without the connectors at around the same price.

Then you simply pop the cable between the relevant sized hole and pull the tool tight around the cable and pull. It should then pull the sleeve off the cable, revealing the copper strands underneath.

You can use bare wire but to keep everything tidy I would use 4mm banana plugs. Make sure your amp/receiver's speaker posts can accept them. Sometimes there is a small plastic bung inside them, which you just prize out with a small screwdriver. If you search on Ebay, Maplins or Screwfix, you should be able to get some Profigold banana plugs quite cheap. You need one red and one black connector for each end of each cable, so 2 red and 2 black for each length of speaker cable. You just push the bare wire in and then screw the clamp down on the wire making a secure connection. You don't need banana plugs but they do make things easier for disconnecting and reconnecting. You can get a watchmaker's screwdrivers set from B&Q/Homebase for a couple of quid with small screwdrivers for putting the banana plugs on.

3. Dr E

Dr E
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off all you have to know what type of connectors you need such as banana, spade etc.

Then strip of the outer insulation so you get the wires visible.
    Then strip of a little of that wire and connect to your chosen connector. With most connectors the copper can be held in by a screw instead of solder.

Hope this helps..

Mick

4. alnwrd

alnwrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have found that some cable does not easily strip so I just burn the outer cable away. Works for me.