How do I stream .MKV files from Vista to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by ABN666, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ABN666

ABN666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got a laptop running Window 8 which I want to use to stream movies from my main PC running vista to the TV in the bedroom.

The main PC has serviio running on it.

The standard media player on windows 8 won't play MKV files so installed VLC player.

Looking on the laptop file explorer can see the C: drive, the main PC user and Serviio. Clicking on seviio I can find my media files. But they wont stream directly but insists on “downloading” them first.

Looking under network on the laptop I can see the PC which when clicked opens the list of shared folders. But when trying to open a folder to see the files its says I don't have the permissions.

The Panasonic TV in the living room plays the files from the PC using its Media Player.

So how can I stream MKV movies from my PC to the laptop?

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  3. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    How have you got your shares set up in the pc, it sounds like you haven't set them up correctly,

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    In VLC go
    * View Playlist
    * Local Network
    * Universal Plug n Play

Serviio will appear here and media can be accessed through that way.

You don't need to use a UPnP/DLNA media server for PC, if you have network shares enabled you just play the file direct through explorer with the mapped network shared folder.

5. ABN666

ABN666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks the VLC info worked. It takes about 2mins for it to find/get the file list but after that plays sraight away :)

Re the share rights am a little confused. In the network can see the public, users and the folders I changed to share them. Under the public and users can see the files contained within but with the folders I added I don't seem to have the permission to see the files within the folders. Can't see any difference in the share properties between the ones that were automaticaly shared and the one I changed to share.

Only just started in windows 8 but must say I HATE it grrrrrrrrrrr

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    For me it takes about 40 seconds or so 2 mins is bit a longer than normal but no idea why the extra delay.

Try using Windows share manager to share out the folders, if you update the Vista to Win7/Win8 it's a lot easier to network as they use Homegroups to share folders so you just join a homegroup and any tagged folders auto appear, old OS like XP/Vista don't support this.

Also if start screen really bugs you just get startisback and it will make it look like Win7.