how do i stop a program running from boot under xp?

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
as the title.....

i have powerstrip tips of the day turning up every time machine come on and i want rid of them! I recall some way that i could view programs which auto start on boot and i could stop them..... the problem is i cant remember how to do it! can anyone enlighten me please?

Ad

The setting you are looking for is probably within the PowerStrip configuration options itself, however if you want to have a look to see what is running upon boot go Start Menu>>>Run...>>>"msconfig" and that'll give you the option to selectively disable/enable items.

MuFu.

thanks...... i worked out the msconfig almost as soon as i typed the query!

I have checked through powerstrip and cant seem to stop the silly things! When they come up, there is a box giving the option to show tips at start up, but it is covered over so i cant uncheck it! any ideas?

thanks

ad

I think you may have to register your copy / pay some money and then it'll stop it.

You can't stop the "tips" box from starting if you have a free "unpaid/unregistered" version of Powerstrip.

Best you could do is deselect "auto load on startup", or just remove Pstrip from your startup folder & launch it manually when into windows (startup tips etc. will still happen though).

Of course any preset resolutions won't automatically "kick in" then.

so could i get girder to use the opening of the tips box as an 'event' which will triger the tips box to then be closed?

Ad

Once you've written your custom resolution into the registry you no longer need Powerstrip. The registry is updated when you click on the 'Add New Resolution' button.

You can then uninstall Powerstrip and the resolution you want will still be there (and no pop-ups).

Thanks guys...... didnt know that about the powerstrip registry. I think i will just stop it running at boot, saves hassle if i want to change things!

I actually had some success at getting girder to remove the tips box...... My pronto has a timed interval similar to that that it takes to boot my computer, then i simply used an inverted girder command, when the pronto send the signal to get iconhider working, bobs your uncle and powerstrip tips disappear!

I think girder could become a bit of an addiction!

Ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom