How do I sign into Xbox.com with existing Gamertag?

Ben

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm probably being incredibly thick here, but I'm trying to sign into Xbox.com for the first time & I can't find a way to do it with my existing gamertag. This is what happens...

1) I go to www.xbox.com.
2) I click "Sign in" in the top righthand corner.
3) I then enter my e-mail address & password (which is already registered as a Windows Live ID).
4) I then enter my existing Gamertag & click "I Accept", but I just get "This gamertag is not available" (see screenshot below). Err, I know it's not available, it's mine! Any ideas where I go from here?

MyXbox-1.jpg

Not sure what your problem is but I just go to- sign in..

Xbox.com | Xbox.com Home

and it asks for email address and password. No gamertag questions asked?

Seems you are trying to make a new tag and not log in to your existing tag... Are you sure you have the right email and password?

Not sure what your problem is but I just go to- sign in..

Xbox.com | Xbox.com Home

and it asks for email address and password. No gamertag questions asked?
Sure, but you must've associated your e-mail address with your Gamertag to start with - otherwise how would it recognise you?

Are you sure you have the right email and password?
Yeah, you can't get as far as the screenshot above otherwise.

Last edited:
When you join Xbox Live you have to enter a Live ID, this will then be joined with your gamertag until the end of time.

If you aren't a member of Xbox Live then just hit Join Xbox Live and then enter your username and password. This is all on the Xbox Dash it should be clearly visible.

Currently you can't join Xbox Live without a Live ID, so you can't be a Live member if you haven't associated your account.

Problem solved.

Currently you can't join Xbox Live without a Live ID, so you can't be a Live member if you haven't associated your account.
Aha, I didn't realise that! Thanks, now we're getting somewhere...

My friend registered my Gamertag for me & as I haven't ever received any e-mails from Xbox, I assume he's set it up using his e-mail address. Before I get in touch with him, can anyone tell me how to change the associated e-mail address once he's logged in at www.xbox.com please?

EDIT: Scrap that last question - I've just seen you can change it through the console itself. I'll get my coat :suicide:

Last edited:
On a similar note can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up a new xbox live account using the same email address as a current one.

Basically i am wanting to set up a new live account but my current tag is linked to my windows live id. If i set up a new account on another email address i presume i will not then be able to sign in to messenger on the xbox using the new gamertag.

Having already previously changed the email account associated with my live id (old email account cancelled when i switched ISP) it is not something i would want to do again - despite the assurances on the microsoft website that it would all happen automatically i had to get everyone on my messenger list to delete and re-add me as a contact before they would show up as online.

So is this possible or not?

Cheers

On a similar note can anyone tell me if it is possible to set up a new xbox live account using the same email address as a current one.

Basically i am wanting to set up a new live account but my current tag is linked to my windows live id. If i set up a new account on another email address i presume i will not then be able to sign in to messenger on the xbox using the new gamertag.

Having already previously changed the email account associated with my live id (old email account cancelled when i switched ISP) it is not something i would want to do again - despite the assurances on the microsoft website that it would all happen automatically i had to get everyone on my messenger list to delete and re-add me as a contact before they would show up as online.

So is this possible or not?

Cheers

Xbox Live supports two options for email accounts.

Firstly every gamertag is linked to a Live ID (usually a hotmail account) this must be unique for every gamertag and is used to log into Live and Xbox.com.

There is a secondary email address, this can be changed at any time, and is merely used to send you emails when you redeem points/live codes and Xbox.com newsletters. AFAIK multiple accounts can use the same address for this.

So in short, every gamertag must be linked to a unique Live ID account/.net passport.

when i try to sign in to xbox .com its says wrong email or password
but on my xbox it says [email protected] and wen i type it in it says its wrong but i dont hav that acctuel email address i accidently missed out a number is there any way to solve this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom