Question How do I setup a web cam system

Mediocris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Done most things but I have never setup a web camera system. Done the research but the variety of cameras is overwhelming. I need to log a noise nuisance and I'm not bothered too much about the quality of the video just need the date and time on video frames. The software I am thinking of using is a free Dutch product called Sky Studio Pro it caters for amongst other things sound activated time lapse photography but software I guess will depend on the platform.

Need to keep cost down to a minimum. I would like to encode to H.265 to keep file size down. I envision the camera will go into an outside bird box attached to the garage with the hardware connected by wires to a box sat on a shelf inside the garage. So what is the best way of going about this? Thanks in advance.

A webcam just plugs into a USB port. So you need to consider how you want the camera to perform. Night vision, adjustable zoom or decent mics.
You can buy USB extension leads with a powered amp at the socket end which will amplify the camera signal, 10mtr is a typical length.
USB Extension Lead, UGREEN 10m USB Extension Cable with 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub and Signal Amplifier (Amazon)
The date and time stamping is usually a function of the software.

Or have you considered security cameras?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom